Gardengirl- watermelons??

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I tried several varieties of melon. None are really doing anything. My zucchini and pumpkin are going NUTS though. Pumpkins LOVE this area for some reason. Doesn't seem to matter if we have a wet cool Spring like this year or a hot dry one like previous years.

Did I mention before I live near a pumpkin farm? :D
It's a neat place with an interesting history if you are curious...
http://www.venetuccifarm.org/venetucci.html
The owner of the farm even has his own statue in downtown Colorado Springs...
229779c2-8baa-4886-84dd-7e4d0ae5361a.jpg

Nick Venetucci passed away a couple of years ago. I think he was in his 90's. I am so happy the farm will stay a farm.

TillinWithMyPeeps

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm also trying to grow icebox melons (Burpee's Bush Sugar Baby) I just planted them a week ago, so they wouldn't be up yet anyway.

I'll keep you updated.

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have not planted any yet but thought I would give it a try even though it is late in the season. I will look to see if there are any that produce early maybe if they need a shorter time to produce I can still get some melons. My chickens go crazy over the rinds.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Andy123 said:
I'm also trying to grow icebox melons (Burpee's Bush Sugar Baby) I just planted them a week ago, so they wouldn't be up yet anyway.

I'll keep you updated.
Andy,
I too am trying the Bush Sugar Baby and whats coindence is that i just planted them a week ago as well, i have them in the greenhouse so they'll germinate faster.

I'll keep this updated as well maybe you'll get mellons before me ....:p :p

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Andy123, :coolsun

Whats the update on the bush sugar baby melons, did they germinate yet?

The reason i ask is because mine are doing pretty bad only 2 seedlings from 25 seeds, i need to complain at Burpee's i've been having a bad year with them...........:somad.....:rant

Thanks!!

TillinWithMyPeeps

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I think I have 5 up total. One in the garden, and 4 in a seperate row in another part of the yard. The plant in the garden looks pretty pathetic though.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Andy123 said:
I think I have 5 up total. One in the garden, and 4 in a seperate row in another part of the yard. The plant in the garden looks pretty pathetic though.
5 is pretty good how many seeds did you plant?

They dont grow that long like other watemelons so you can keep a nice row and they wonts run too far.

Good luck with the ones you have;) , as for me i might try again.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
That way Hattie suggested, hot compost 10" under the bed sounds a great idea!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
yeah, i may just try that this year! i have plenty of chickie manure and shavings from my winter clean outs that should help. i have had luck in the past getting the icebox types of water melons to grow and produce. many years it has been hit or miss because of the rainy weather for more than a week or too hot to keep them watered enough for their liking. i think i will also try a hoop house over them too.

Latest posts