Garlic available for fall planting!

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey, garlic is available for purchase at www.wegrowgarlic.com. This is the first day they are offering it so they still have pretty much all their varieties. Place your orders today and they bill you in August when it ships. They literally have over 100 varieties.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, now that's some selection! :ep

I see they've already sold out on a few... I wouldn't know what to pick! They ought to have a "sampler" pack, but I didn't see any.

I tried to grow store-bought cloves this year and they didn't pan out, although I've gotten away with it before. I will make a point to order some good garlic this year. Thanks for the link!

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know they have over 100 varieties (yes I counted). They seem great to work with. I had hope for a sampler also but decided to make my own. I pick a couple of different types;

Martins Heirloom (rocambole)
Metechi (Marbled Purple Stripe)
Northern White (Porcelain)
Inchelium Red (artichoke softneck variety)
Silver Rose (Silverskin)
Kettle River Giant (Artichoke)
Amish Rocambole (Rocambole)
Spanish Roja (rocombole hardneck variety)
Simonetti (artichoke softneck variety)

The Metechi looks awesome, Simonetti is supposed to make great braids, Inchelium Red won best taste award in the 90's (you'll have to look up which one, I can remember). Kettle River is a really large garlic. I like the look of the gentleman who the Martin's heirloom is named after and the Amish Racambole is from PA which is next door to me and I thought it would do well in my Ohio climate. The Northern White and the Spanish Roja are both well know types so I wanted something familar as well.

I just order 2-3 of each one. They sell them by the bulb and the price is based on the size of the bulb. I thought it was a very fair system because you know what you are getting.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh I am so excited and ready for garlic again... the best thing I planted by FAR!!!!

Site is bookmarked now!!!

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is my first year for growing garlic and I am so excited. I have been checking this site for a while. They said they would have the catalog available the middle of July, so I checked last night and nothing but then I got an e-mail at 3:20 in the morning (I was asleep), saying that they garlic was ready.

I guess that's what garlic farming is like.... plant in the fall, wait all winter work like crazy people until it's ready to dry. I ordered about 20 heads so I won't be that busy.

craftsmaster

Sprout
Reaction score
The pungent scent of the garlic repels some of the rose plant's worst pests, the aphids. Cool, isn't it? To a gardener who's trying hard to stay organic, it's quite exciting.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have sage and rosemary near my roses... and garlic in my strawberry beds.

I have had no problems with Japanese beetles there! GOOD STUFF!!!!

Getting ready to order my garlic, I think we're going to plant in September this year rather then late October.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've just harvested the garlic, I grew German Extra Hardy (hard-necked), and two different soft-necked varieties, Kettle River and Inchelium Red. They're all drying now in the garage on a grate. The onions are falling over now, so I'll be pulling them soon.

chicken stalker

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just ordered Dushanbe, Carpathian, Bavarian Purple, Pennsylvania Dutch, Hnat. There is so many to choose from. I emailed them for a recommendation list and they sent me a list of about 25 according to my climate and I narrowed it down from there. I can't wait to get these in the ground this fall!

Latest posts