garlic growing

small farmer

Sprout
Reaction score
hey we were wondering if garlic is like a bulb plant want you plant the bulb and then after winter it grow are we right on that

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are right. Separate the cloves and plant each one individually. Like magic, in the early spring, you will see the leaves coming up. Looking a lot like onion greens. I covered mine with straw last year, and had a bumper crop. Not sure if that was necessary, but it worked great. Enjoy!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just getting in to planting garlic. You plant in fall a couple of weeks before the first killing frost. They are ready for harvest late summer.

Many people here grow garlic. Hopefully one will stop by :D

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I live in zone 8 and I grow my garlic in the winter. I plant right about now, and it will sprout up and then just sort of sit there all winter (I didn't even water it last winter, just left it alone), and by early spring I can harvest. I discovered I could do this by accident last year, and got a really nice harvest, but not nearly enough...so I am in the process of planting about 500 cloves! :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yep... garlic is going in at the end of the month with my onions. Then I harvest in June when everything flops over. That's when I cure everything on the front porch.

FarmerDenise

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
WE plant it in November during a full moon and harvest in June. We plant only the biggest and best looking cloves. The peanuts get tossed in a bowl for use in soups

Latest posts