Garlic Harvest

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
photo (5).JPG

I just harvested my garlic about a week ago. It's a little early but last year I harvested a little late and some of it was starting to rot. I was also anxious to use the bed for something else. It was organic garlic from the store. I think next year, I may plant it in a container.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nicely done! Glad it worked out for you! I don't see why using a container wouldn't work for you. My garlic is just barely above ground, right now. And after tonight it is going to wish it wasn't up at all! 28 degrees and blustery! Enjoy your yummy garlic!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Very nice Mary! Mine is only a couple inches tall, but I bet it will be harvest time before I know it!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I noticed today that mine is starting to turn yellow, guess I'd better pull it up. Nice looking garlic NinnyMary!

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted garlic in a container one year, and it came out just fine. I planted them in mid-October. I was a little worried the bulbs may freeze over winter, as it can get pretty cold at times around here. Shouldn't be a concern where you are though.

Less chance of it rotting as long as the container has several drain holes, so you could leave it to grow longer too. You do have to remember to water regularly when it's growing, as the containers will dry out quite quickly.
Garlic like a good feeding, so if you want larger cloves, you might add a little rotted chicken manure to the soil..

Latest posts