Get Crackin'!

Sprinkler Buddy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm sitting here snacking on one of my most favorite nuts, Pistachios. In my parts, you'll find pecan trees. Does anyone here have their own Pistachio tree? I see these came from CA and I've noticed a few here from those parts.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't have a pistachio tree, however just 10 miles N of our ranch in C. Cal. there are hundreds of acres in pistachio orchards.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My great grandmother used to roast pecans and I do it the way she did. Melt 1/2 stick BUTTER (not margarine :sick ) in a heavy iron skillet on medium heat. Dump in a pound or two of pecan halves. Stir. Stir. Keep stirring. Ok.....getting tired of stirring now......turns up heat......adds more butter, what's that smoke?? :gigOK, maybe I don't roast pecans the exact way she did. But you want a slow roast, plenty of real butter and keep stirring. I start fishing out the roasted ones.....maybe I should roast ONE pound at a time instead of 2 or 3 pounds. :idunnoWait until the pecans are roasted to add salt or spices. If you add them in the skillet, the spices and salt will only burn (and smoke a lot-ask me how I know) After you have scooped the roasted pecans into a mixing bowl, add salt to taste. I add ground cayenne pepper and garlic for a spicy pecan. :drool

Try pecans like this-yummy!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Isn't it amazing how much better a pecan tastes when it is toasted/roasted?
I love pistachios, too. I bought a bag of shelled pistachios not too long ago, and nearly made myself sick, eating them so fast. Their shells are a natural deterrent to pistachio pigs like me, but buying them pre-shelled---well, that's asking for trouble! :hide

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would suggest going to a library and flipping through some of the books there, you're a least guaranteed to find a little bit of info in a few books.

Maybe searching for a commercial grower online, contact them and ask questions. Or you could kidnap, them bind them to a chair in a dark room and interrogate them (lamp overhead and all...). "How do you grow pistachios? Tell me!" Whichever way you prefer, I guess.

I'm almost certain that you could grow them in steamy Florida. I have done some reading and don't think (if I remember right) that they like acidic, soaking wet soil. Also the nut itself (This could be cashews that I'm thinking about!) is fused to a poisonous fruit, nut on the outside and one nut per fruit, you have to remove them. Then again do some research. If I've even read about pistachious it was a long, long time ago and I'm probably not remembering things right!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We love pistachios! Wish I could grow them.
We have a little pistachio ritual here in the summertime. After church on Sundays DH and I grab a bowl of unshelled pistachios and sit out in the picket garden, cracking
and shelling and watching the hummers.

I know what you mean So Lucky! It's real easy to eat too many when they're shelled.

Latest posts