Getting tomatoes to set fruit?

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Were having heat advisories now, too.

I've gradually learned not to be in a rush to get tomatoes going. Oh, I may get some cherry types going in containers earlier, just to have some. But I generally wait until the very end the "proper time" to put them in. Ive just planted them, for example, and will add another variety, within the week, "Arkansas Traveler," at hoodat's recommendation.

Our season is long, and extends all the way to November. Last year we didnt have our first real frost until mid-Nov. SO I take advantage of that - there isnt any real rush to get them going and by starting late, I can kinda beat the heat.

This also uses the seasonal diurnal cycle to my advantage. As the temps begin to cool and the length of the days shortens, the plants that are going by the end of August must hasten their efforts and so tend to be vigorous in fruiting.

And I enjoy hearing people say, "You still have tomatoes, this late?"

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
desertgirl, did you get the rain, hail and crud like we did over the weekend? I have tons of flowers and no fruit. It was 44 last night!!! Fortunately is going to be in the 80's all week with warm nights so I may get fruit yet.

Latest posts