grapes needing help

ninny

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Would i be possible to add a few more kinds of grapes to it? It wouldn't be hard to tell them apart as i'd get different colored ones. When should i pune them? They have grown up and over and down the other side. Should i allow them to do that? If i let them do that i could plant the new types next to it and allow them to as well. That may be the best option for maximum space. I just that i could buy seedless grapes i'd much rather have those then what we have now. The ones we have are semi sour with seeds. I wonder if i should take down all the old ones and plant what i want.

Edited to add more thoughts.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If those grapes are not what you really want then I would go ahead and replace them with a variety that suits you better.
I like the seedless myself so I planted 3 varieties to see what does well and to get grapes that ripen at different times so I have a steady flow coming in instead of all at once.
It doesn't take as long as grapes to produce fruit as long as say a fruit tree does so it shouldn't be a big deal.
Plus the grape vines look nice even when they aren't producing.
Go ahead and plant what you like to eat
You can let them grow over as long as they aren't in your way or touching the ground, pruning should be done in late winter according to my guide.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
ninny said:
injunjoe said:
I would just cut it down and buy a new one.

JMHO

Joe
If i did cut them down. How long would it take for a new one to bear fruit?
Actually you can cut it all the way to the ground if you want to, and let it develop a new, fresh, main cane. It is a drastic measure, but on really old vines, it may be the only way to get them going again. It would take a couple years to develop the structure of the vine and get fruit again, but if they're a reliable variety for your area that you really like, it wouldn't be a bad idea. That book I mentioned goes over that as well.

I have an ancient concord grape vine out on my Dad's farm that needs this done. My Dad is too reluctant to let me loose on it and give it a try. I don't see why though, when it hasn't borne at all for a few years now, what could it hurt! :rolleyes:

Yours may not be that bad off though, ninny. If you ever get thawed out, try to get a pic for us!

ETA: And whether you keep them at all depends on what you want them for. Sounds like you have one that might be good for wine, jelly or juice rather than fresh eating...

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have heard that grape vines will live for many years, I wonder how old would be too old to transpant? We left behind vines that were around 10 years old. I know I can get cuttings and start anew, but does anyone know how deeply they root, and if it would be possible to move them?:hu

Latest posts