Greenhouse questions

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've done vegetable gardening for many years now in Southern California where we can garden year round. At the end of last summer, we moved to south central Virginia and it's a whole different ball game! I've got some seeds started and I'm working on my garden spaces to get them ready. The farm we are at now used to be the home of a master gardener and much of her stuff was left behind which has been very helpful.

I have a great greenhouse with planting tables and pots galore. I have never had a greenhouse before so I'm not sure exactly how to judge when windows and vents should be opened and closed. One set of roof vents is controlled manually and one is on a motor. I'm assuming the motor kicks on depending on the temperature inside the greenhouse.

The controller:
B93BBF7C-7850-497E-9028-BF5976A16393_zpsru8daden.jpg

The only picture I could find of the greenhouse taken this time last year.
DSCN4243_zps4956825c.jpg

Some of this year's seed flats:
D21BCB26-891C-4339-956C-CA113A9CE244_zpsmulu3xzm.jpg

I'm assuming that if I have it set at 80, the motor will only kick on and open the vents if the temperature goes above that. Anyone know if I am correct on that? Any other tips on using a greenhouse effectively? I have been bringing my trays in at night and only putting them out during the day because nighttime temps are still pretty low. How high should the outside temps be before I can leave the trays in there all the time? Does it make sense to heat it? What type of heater do people use in greenhouses? Thanks for any advice!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry, can't be of help with the greenhouse, I just wanted to say welcome back Potter! It's been a long time. Your gutter planter was the object of discussion not too long ago.

( You were the one with the gutter planter right?)

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That was me! I've had a busy few years. We still own the house with the gutter planter but I don't think our renters are using it. I think it has become just a decorative feature on the front of the house. I did enjoy it when we were there after I figured out the right drainage.

My new thing this year (in addition to working in a greenhouse), is fodder. I have my system just about finished and within a couple weeks, I hope to be giving the first fodder flats to our chickens and goats.

2AD88CF0-4E5C-459E-BFC7-40ADE074D788_zpsdnjl1piz.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi PotterWatch :frow!

I don't know about automated vents. Even in the commercial greenhouse where I worked back in the Dark Ages, those vents were manual. Today, my backyard greenhouse requires constant attention in the springtime with all those flying clouds, the bright sunshine, cold wind and everything else the weather throws at us!

The greater the limits on sunlight, the lower the temperatures should be. That is about as simple as I can make it. We often don't get more than those bursts of sun for a few hours each day! Don't try to make up for the cloudy skies and long hours of darkness - I mean, 12 hours is a long night - by having toasty warm plant starts. Keep the daytime temps below 85°f, certainly. A daytime about 70°, is best. Nights can run real close to 60°. This will keep most plants growing sturdily. Only the real heat-lovers will want more than that. "Pushing" them with heat will result in legginess for most of our garden plants.

"How high should the outside temps be before I can leave the trays in there all the time?" You should be thinking, of course, about the greenhouse temperature not the outdoors. Every greenhouse and location will be a little different for how well they hold heat overnight. You need a thermometer you can monitor.

Probably, low 50's are the coolest the warm-season plants would appreciate. They are youngsters. They can take cooler and may experience overnights in the low 40's when you get them into the open garden. Imagine how anxious you will be on those nights! Don't bother to put yourself and them thru it now.

"Does it make sense to heat it?" Without carrying the flats back and forth from your house, I think an unheated greenhouse has only a limited value. It gives a gardener about 3 weeks head start. What do our plant starts need? They need to be 6 to 8 weeks old before transplanting into the open garden. That leaves us with carrying flats back and forth for several weeks. Not every night but often, especially at first.

My greenhouse has a natural gas garage heater. It is just like what might be suspended from the ceiling in a 2 car garage and it is easily adequate for the 200 square foot greenhouse. I don't know enough about other small greenhouses. Your local utility company may be of help with deciding on the size of a heater.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome back Potter! It's so nice to hear from you. How exciting to have a new space. Please stay in touch and let us know all about your new gardening endeavors.

Mary

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have been carrying my flats back and forth right now. It would be nice not to have to do that! I have one glass panel where someone put a hole to apparently reach in and unlock the door. I need to have that repaired before I think about putting a heater in. I have some little space heaters. I wonder how I could monitor the temps without having to go out every hour to look at the thermometer...

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nice greenhouse potterwatch!!!

Steve and i and several other members have a thermometer system that's GREAT, i'd definitely recommend it. There's a sensor inside your greenhouse that wirelessly sends them currenttemp to a display inside your house. Mine records the high and low for each day, as well. I write those numbers down daily on a calendar, and it helps me see the trends. That helpsme evaluate when i need to roll up my plastic for more venting (no fancy auto opener on mine ;) ) or decide when i might leave my plants out overnight.

I havent heated my greenhouse before...but i've been mulling it over this year, possibly using a propane camping heater.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been carrying my flats back and forth right now. It would be nice not to have to do that! I have one glass panel where someone put a hole to apparently reach in and unlock the door. I need to have that repaired before I think about putting a heater in. I have some little space heaters. I wonder how I could monitor the temps without having to go out every hour to look at the thermometer...
I believe jackb has a way to do that. Knowing him, probably uses some camera and remote control!

Latest posts