Ground cherries

Anny

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can buy seeds for ground cherries? Or if they happen to go by another name? I'm having a hard time locating any. Thanks!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I believe maybe Pinetree has them, and I know I've seen them in other catalogs as well. Try Johnny's Select Seeds, Thompson & Morgan, possibly Vermont Bean Seed Co., etc

They're definitely out there, and if Pinetree has them then they were part of my order this spring (shipped to my mom who hasn't sent it up here yet so I dunno at the moment :p)

Good luck,

Pat

kellygirrl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
What's the difference b/n ground cherries, husk tomatoes and tomatillos? Anyone know? I forget.

Seeds of Change has giant peruvian groundcherry
Seedsavers has ground cherry
richters has tomatillo (ioxocarpa)
tradewinds has ground cherry (pruniosa)
Bakers has ground cherry/husk tomato
victory seeds has husk tomato or tomatillo, can't remember ioxocarpa

My yard has one or the other; they reseed for me and taste sweet and fruity if they're ripe, after the paper starts to brown and they look very yellow. Heard some fruits are bigger, though, I'd switch to them.

Anny

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the difference is, any one know?

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think tomatillos have more of a savory flavor and ground cherry is more sweet/fruity.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
tomatillo is very different from a ground cherry -- generally much larger, like pingpong-ball size or bigger, and not overly sweet even when ripe (usually used before dead ripe though... for green salsas, etc). I don't think they're "native" to any cuisine other than mexico/central america.

ground cherries are small, pretty sweet, and used ripe for pies, preserves, that sort of thing. They are traditional in various cultures including the Pennsylvania Dutch.

"husk tomato" I dunno.

There is something else that's sort of like a ground cherry but not exactly (in a seed catalog and culinary sense, I mean - no idea about botanical identities) but I am blanking on what it is at the moment.

I am told that the "poha" jam you can get in Hawaii is made from a type of ground cherry. It is very tasty.

Pat

sparks

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I believe husk tomato and ground cherry are the same thing. Just different names for diff. zones.

Latest posts