Growing avocados

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
All I want it for is a houseplant I don't care about it fruiting or not. They do fine indoors with the proper care, my florist/gardener extraordinaire Grandmother left me her horticultural science books and a neat "Success with houseplants" binder full of info. BUT the info that I have is vague as to what type of potting soil to use... am I supposed to put in in like prchid type or just regular old potting soil or what?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
sparkles2307 said:
So, I'm trying this out for the first time ever and the pit has just begun to split at the bottom for the root to come out.

When I'm ready to pot it, what kind of soil (is plain potting soil ok?), how much gravel in the bottom for drainage, do I put a stake in right away? I obviously have no idea!

It'll be an almost 100% indoor plant due to living in MN...
Sorry, just noticed this part of your previous post Sparkles. It doesn't require anything super special, just pot it up like any houseplant. You shouldn't need to stake it.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Easy solution-plant a second tree!
thistlebloom said:
catjac1975 said:
Why will it never fruit?
thistlebloom said:
My mom had a seed started avocado tree indoors for over a decade. They don't grow very fast when confined to a pot.
She finally planted it outdoors ( coastal northern CA ) and it's now about 10 feet tall. It blooms, but will never fruit obviously.
Most avocados require cross pollination, although there are some self fertile ones, but it's not very likely that there would be another growing in the neighborhood. My moms tree is kind of a freak, and survives in a little microclimate, semi protected by two houses and a large spruce tree. Although it has bloomed, there is enough frosts and freezing to kill the blooms before they could develop, even supposing her tree was self fertile.

HabaneroHeaven

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My sister started one about five or so years ago. It's very tall, about five feet. She keeps it indoors next to a sunny window in the winter and puts it outside during the summer. I'm not sure if it will bear fruit or not...

Latest posts