Growing grass in a starving world

Ken Adams

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
That's the only way I know how to do things :) thank you for the warm welcome. I hope to learn a lot...and maybe contribute a little

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hunger has a way of changing priorities...and hunger is coming. Perhaps these ideas won't seem so crazy in the coming years
If you are talking about world hunger, there is 3X more ground than in USA that is not utilized. Those countries like it that way.

In USA, we have more food than we can use. We probably throw out as much as we consume.

Welcome to board. Great conversation.

Ken Adams

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
& you think you will get students to do physical work? :lol:

They are protected by laws, they aren't slave labor. Great thought, not going to happen.

People are hungry because they choose to be. We all live by choices we make.
I didn't mean to imply that kids should be made to work in gardens. I meant that gardening and food preservation should be offered as classes. I'm betting some kids would welcome some time in the sun and playing in the dirt

Ken Adams

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm looking forward here. The very real situation is that America's food supply is currently struggling. Projected food prices don't look good and I truly believe that in the near future we will be looking for answers

I think that a victory garden renaissance is needed and possible

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think that a victory garden renaissance is needed and possible
Not as long as the gooberment keeps handing out passes to the free food club. I talk gardening to everyone, kinda like breathing, :lol: "Oh, Uh..... well.... I'm tired after I get off work"--which is lazy speak for I'd rather watch TV. These same people gladly take food stamps and use them to purchase pre-packaged processed foods that are ready to eat in 90 microwaved seconds. :tongue

On the lawn and yard idea, I garden in my front yard because of shade issues, big dog issues and chicken issues in the back yard. I use the strip between the sidewalk and driveway, used-to-be-flower-beds, a strip on the other side of the driveway and a couple of beds on the other side of the yard. People actually stop and ask me gardening questions. I converted the mail lady and gave her seeds. She is in her second year of gardening. I give seeds, advice and sweet potato slips to what I refer to as my curbside gardening friends. I have my eye on that shrinking patch in the center of the front yard........but DH says NO! :lol:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Food prices historically go up and down. In America we scream when food costs go above 10% of our income. Yet a new car, we'll spend 25% of our income. $1000 for sporting event, $50 for concert, $10 for movie, etc. In rest of world, food is 30-70% of income. We have never had it so good.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not as long as the gooberment keeps handing out passes to the free food club. I talk gardening to everyone, kinda like breathing, :lol: "Oh, Uh..... well.... I'm tired after I get off work"--which is lazy speak for I'd rather watch TV. These same people gladly take food stamps and use them to purchase pre-packaged processed foods that are ready to eat in 90 microwaved seconds. :tongue

On the lawn and yard idea, I garden in my front yard because of shade issues, big dog issues and chicken issues in the back yard. I use the strip between the sidewalk and driveway, used-to-be-flower-beds, a strip on the other side of the driveway and a couple of beds on the other side of the yard. People actually stop and ask me gardening questions. I converted the mail lady and gave her seeds. She is in her second year of gardening. I give seeds, advice and sweet potato slips to what I refer to as my curbside gardening friends. I have my eye on that shrinking patch in the center of the front yard........but DH says NO! :lol:
Year from now, no excuses because you'll have more room than energy to garden.

Ken Adams

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
All of the reasoning for thinking these ideas won't take off assume that things aren't changing. The droughts won't end soon...but soon those food stamps won't buy much. I've seen projections of food prices doubling and tripling. Not to mention the unprecedented spikes in meat prices that are already occurring. My thoughts are about how a return to home food production may be driven by coming changes

Latest posts