HAs anyone continues their gardens indoors!?

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
The1honeycomb, I think your potatoes in bags is one of the coolest things I've learned about in recent years!

For those joining us late - let me see if I can get this right . . . The1honeycomb starts the potato plants in bags of soil. During the winter months, these plants grow in her basement, which must have some good windows. In the spring ~ her husband ~ lugs these bagged plants outdoors. The1honeycomb, and her loving husband ;), enjoy a bountiful and early harvest of potatoes. Then she replants those bags with new soil and seed potatoes for the remainder of the outdoor season!

Here I have been trying to make people believe that I can haul a cast iron stove down into my basement! I hope that no power failure will ever force me to try that :rolleyes:.

The1honeycomb are you thinking of doing about the same thing with these other vegetables? Well, I think you must be!! You must really have some good light down there :cool:.

Here is my winter growing: (TEG link).

I don't know what the miserable angle of the sun is here this morning :/. It is bound to show up sometime as the sky is mostly clear. We have also had some single digitS' wind chills overnight! Those are single digitS' below zero and it is supposed to be worse soon!

Steve
Steve nice to hear from you again, YES you do remember quite well. As for the potatoes in the basement they are on a wagon so that all I have to do is pull the wagon out side and let the plants enjoy any warm sunny days. I do have plans for all these plants in the house this year, the sweet potatoes are planted and doing very well! the carrots have not shown their bushy little faces yet. :happy_flower

I am expecting a very cold winter this year but so far I have lived in this region for 5 years and haven't experienced one! :hu
There seems to be a diverse opinion regarding the local weather but I will be happy with whatever I get:pop Just hope it snows!!!

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
secuono said:
Can you use artificial lights on a timer to grow the potatoes??
Yes potatoes are not too picky Secuono, and they grow well in most light situations. I just planted a potato with 4 inch plants that fell behind my potato box and got started without me!! It was dark moist and chilly back there.

Good luck

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Don't forget about growing herbs inside during the winter. Many grocery stores sell potted herbs, and here's what I've learned about caring for them when you bring them home. First, they are VERY potbound. Secondly they will benefit for being put in a non-leaking container for a few days with a little soil and a lot of water. I loosen up the roots, and let them have a good drink. THEN, I transplant in some well composted soil, and put in a sunny window in a room off of my kitchen to use all winter.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Great idea Ducks, I take clippings of mine and start them. I have lavender, mint, oregano rosemary sage and thyme. I like to grow small plants and put them in soil as gifts for my children and neighbors.
I usually ad a note on some ideas how to use the herbs.
My daughter loves fresh herbs but the plants don't last long in her house.:th

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since my 5 year old rosemary plant died this fall, I caved and bought a small plant at the grocery store about a week ago. I haven't repotted it yet, but it is under lights with a drainage saucer.
My lights table is crowded with some non-edible plants, also a pineapple plant that I am attempting to get to produce fruit. I guess I need more lights, huh? Kinda like chicken math. :D

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Psst... So Lucky - if want to get your pineapple plant producing, put it in a plastic bag with an apple. The apple gives off some sort of gas that tells the pineapples that it's time to produce. ;)

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am not a patient woman, I I think Pineapples take a long time to grow. I have heard the trick about the bag with an apple though!!!

lights are good in the space that you have but my basement is too big so I just use the sun!

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
the only inside gardening I'm doing is a collection of succulents lined up in the garage to wait out the winter.

Latest posts