Reaction score
Oh, man. What a bummer.
Sorry you have to go thru this too.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
boggybranch said:
lesa said:
Oh, boggy, I am so sorry!! I don't mean to bring up a sore spot- but will your granddaughter feel worse that the dog had to be put down?? I know she will be heartbroken about the chickens- but there are always more chickens....does she love the dog too?? So sorry!!
Well, lucky for him.....his sentence was commuted to exile. No longer with us, but still alive. Babygirl will be much sadder about the chicks and quite angry at the dog, so I think it will be alright.....might as well be. Once a chicken killer, always a chicken killer.
May not be worth the effort, but I have broken dogs from killing chickens. I don't do it PC way but it is effective and fast.

Reaction score
Dachshunds were specifically bred over several hundred years in Germany to kill small game, they have hunted rock squirrel, partridge, even wildcats! When a chicken enters the picture all the training in the world is just going against several hundred years of breeding as well as God given instinct. I have Scottish Terriers and I love them almost as much as people but they have the front yard and my Chickens are in the back. Its just one of those things that we have to live with.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm so sorry boggy.... Dogs just know how to be dogs, and that's it! :rolleyes:

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sorry boggy, I had a pit that jumped and jumped till she got into the duck pen. She eventually ate 4 ducks and no matter how I built the pen she could get in. She no longer lives with us. I miss her but when she attempted to eat the cat. She had to go. :(

tifsgarden

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have been so lucky that my rat terrier hasn't hurt any of my chickens.My chickens have hurt my rat terrier though.She won't go in the backyard if they are out of their coop.I have six chickens that think they are the boss of the backyard and they let everyone know it too! My Russian Orloff is the brute of the lot, she'll take on anything or anyone.
I'm sorry you lost the chickies and had to rehome the dog.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh Boggy,

I have only just seen this thread & I am heart-broken for you & your grand daughter.....what a tragedy. Hunting Dogs are so primed to their jobs there is never a guarantee they won't disobey your wishes.

Get some more fast but tell Babygirl the truth; she will understand & learn from it. I am so sorry she & you had to go through this. I know how you must feel as some years ago I lost virtually all my flock to a fox & I blamed myself for being a bad flock mistress for letting them out too early.....but I learned useful lessons of being super, super careful.

:hugs

Hattie

MsPony

Sprout
Reaction score
:hugs My lab puppy would go "retrieve" the bantees, they were always alive and unharmed but it was not ok behavior (he is now a 100# dog.) My dog trainer came out and worked hard with him to teach him that they are his to love, cherish and protect, not "retrieve". He now flushes them, but I mean he is a 13 month old lab puppy LOL, what fun loving puppy doesnt want to watch chickens fly around? I leave him outside all day alone with them now, but it took a LOT of work for 10 months of his life.

Latest posts