Have You ever Planted a mistake ?

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have a beautiful Campanula, tall bells... When I bought it the woman warned me that in was invasive. In my mind that was more plants for free. Big mistake.

Creeping bellflower? ... that nasty thing, I hate it even worse than comfrey! Mom gave me some many years ago. It was not real invasive in her sandy soil, but I rip them out by the thousand. :he
I have a few other bellflowers that are much better behaved, although they do volunteer a bit.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I try to be real careful what I plant. A friend gave me seed to a big white flower that she loved. The seeds were tiny and I asked her if it multiplied and she said yes. I didn't plant the seeds. Most of my hated :he plants came in hay that I buy for the horses. Then they survive composting and come up in the garden. :somad

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
What was suppose to be a Dansom plum, turned out to be flowering plum that sends new sprouts up everywhere.

Planted my trumpet vine on light pole. We mow off new starts.

Some purple flowering plant that was suppose to be perennial. Turns out annual that sheds millions of seeds. Of course, I planted it on edges of garden.....oh joy!

Agree on black berries! When they developed virus that made berries unusable, I've been trying to kill them off!

Luckily, I have NO problems with using chemicals to kill!

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have mint growing feral as an introduction here. It's doesn't have much of a chance to spread into the yard and other not-so-wild areas though, the native plants along with other introductions choke the mint plants out before they get much of a chance. I treat any "invasive" introductions as native plants here, and do my best at not introducing anything else.

I wouldn't quite call this as a mistake as the plants attract beneficial, keep the soil loose, and are useful as a tea and a medicinal - but I planted camomile a few years back. (They were already present growing here before, any lowland area or area covered with trees is also not to it's liking.) Camomile is now the most common weed in my garden (I leave patches of them growing to attract and house beneficial), they're also my favorite weed to pull because they are so much easier to pull than most other weeds.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i didn't plant it but i would like to meet the person who introduced it to our neck of the woods! japanese knotweed and oriental bittersweet. i have some choice words for that person. :smack

my mother won't let me hear the end of this one but i bought many years ago a type of grass that i was told was Miscanthus sinensis or Maiden Hair grass. it certainly looked nice the first year. then it sent out runners that dug and traveled all over the yard from the mother plant.

also, wisteria. a nasty invasive vine that just DOES NOT DIE! i have never seen it flower and gave up waiting to see it bloom. it destroyed a wooden privacy fence in it's process of taking over and now it is trying to destroy the grape arbor.

Latest posts