Heirloom or Hybrid?

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have been growing heirlooms for many years now! I would never be without them. So many to choose from. I usually grow around 60- 90 different varieties every year. I have favorites that I grow every year also, and some years those favorites do really well, and other times they struggle. A lot depends on weather, disease, critters, pests etc.. That is why I grow a good variety. Production varies year to year also, and depends on those factors.

I grow mostly heirlooms, but the few hybrids I grow, I love Sungold as a cherry, and I also love Jetstar as a nice medium red tomato, which has a pretty good balanced tomato taste. And was very productive for me.

You should do a search to find what varieties of heirloom, and hybrid tomatoes would do good in your area/zone.. Nothing wrong with having both in your garden...

Ginny

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
100_1418.jpg

Just a few heirloom tomatoes..From 2010

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank's skeeter. yes, in 2010 I had around 200 tomato plants planted outside and 50 in the GH. it was a great year for tomatoes. Last year, 2011, not so much! LOL.

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
Has anyone grown blue tomatoes? Beautiful and tasty.
What variety did you grow and like? No Blue for me.. I had a chance to aquire seed for the MSU Blue and declined..I heard the taste is subjective...Maybe someday, but I just cant bring myself to grow that blue tomato just yet.. Just me!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is this the blue/purple from Oregon??

Here's a little something about that one: (click).

I read about this tomato years ago, now. They must be having some problem with the seed, the variety, or something! That would be all I need - a problematic variety . . . but, maybe not :p!

Jim Myers seems to have had a lot to do with the Legend tomato variety. Jim Baggett should get any credit for it, if that's where it is due. That guy is one "legend" for new garden varieties!

Solana Seed in Canada has the blue according to their catalog.

Steve

ETA: Some of the Oregon tomatoes like Oregon Spring, Siletz, Legend, Gold Nugget etc. (I don't know about the blue, or all of these either) -- some are open-pollinated (non-hybrid) varieties. Just goes to show that all of the research is not directed towards hybridizing. I've grown both Legend and Gold Nugget.

Latest posts