Hello!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess I didn't think of it as a drought...just an excuse to be outside! Is there not much of a growing season for WA? What would you consider the growing season? And are there any books you can recommend that would help me learn a bit more about basic gardening? None of the books I checked out at the library mentioned basic problems with starting seeds! :(

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi AMKuska, from Montana!

To figure out your growing season, you want to get a rough idea of when your average last frost date is in the spring, and 1st average frost in the fall. The number of days in betweem gives you an idea of your growing season. An internet search For average frost dates and your town or county might help.

An idea of your USDA hardiness zone will help you know more about what plants you can grow, as well. Let us know what you find out about your hardiness zone, we can give you some ideas of good plants for that zone!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome, AMKuska, yes gardening is always an experience. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. lol Hope you have a great garden this season!

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The growing season ended with some rain in your neighborhood, AMKuska, but that must have come as a surprise.

No measurable rain during July, not only over here at the Spokane airport but at Sea-Tac. First July with no rain in your corner of the world in over 50 years. Sea-Tac ended up with 48 days without rain during the middle of the growing season - 2nd longest in history.

I know that it shouldn't be like your environment but Texas A& M has some good information about:

Starting Seedlins at Home (link)

I hope that helps.

Steve

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am in USDA zone 8a. My seed packets suggest planting in April, according to their color coded map.

Wow digitS'! How do you know all of this? I looked at the link and bookmarked it.

Latest posts