Help with zucchini husbandry!

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So my zucchini is growing and growing and growing... and I was just wondering if it's ok to trim it a little. I don't want it to encroach on the eggplant, which is also growing like a champ. I thought I planted them far enough apart, but at this rate, the zuke is planning to take over the neighborhood, maybe even the world!
How much can I trim it up?
Also, my runner beans are a'runnin' up the fence, do they just keep on going forever? Do these need to be trimmed to prevent out of control growth?
Can you tell it's my first time? :lol:
Thanks so much!

Edited to fix the spelling of "zucchini." I knew it looked wrong! :lol:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pruned back the zucchini when it has begun crowding other plants. I'm sure that it limited the production, somewhat. Sometimes, there isn't always much choice on these sorts of things. I've also built a wall of boards to seperate crowding plants - well, I guess that might be a choice.

My first garden, on my own, was in high school. I planted polebeans and set up a nice, sturdy fence. But, the fence was only about 3 or 4 feet high. But, it worked out. Perhaps because the seeds didn't germinate well or were planted far apart. I'm almost willing to try a short fence like that again. It would cut down on wind resistance.

It worked but my pole beans grew up and down and up and down and sideways :rolleyes:.

Steve

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Steve! I have a feeling my beans are going to do the up and down thing, too! But you are rightm it will provide wind resistance, I hadn't even thought of that! And all without blocking the light (the sun comes in from the other side). Next year, I might have to make a bean tunnel, I've always loved those. It would also provide a good, shady area in which to grow annual shade plants... hmmm... Now I'm thinking!! :clap
I'll go out and selectively prune the zuke and see what happens. I only planted one this year, so I don't want to kill it or turn it into an ornamental bush! ;)
Thanks again!

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I don't think it hurts them to be crowded a bit. Soon it will stop growing and start producing. Zuchinnis are a bush squash, so they don't keep growing forever like winter squash. In the Square foot gardening method they put them in the center of a three foot block. So if it has that much room, it should be OK, even if it is running into the eggplant a little.

A lot of people plant close together on purpose, to create a living mulch. But, you may live where you have problems with disease or fungus, in which case it would probably be better to keep them away from each other a little.

Sorry, that was kind of rambling... :lol: Good luck! :tools

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't do the zukes yet... but now I know what to expect next year. Thanks! ;)

I'm making a cuke and cantaloupe tunnel for my to grow spinach and lettuce inbetween.... but that bean tunnel sounds awesome.

Gardeners are sooooooooooooooooo clever. :D

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there GrowinVeggies! :frow

We grow a lot of runner beans in the UK; they are the nation's favourite green vegetable. We usually pinch them out when they are just a bit taller than the grower -- this is just for ease of picking. I love growing wigwhams of them but I have grown arches & tunnels in my time. you must eat them young though as otherwise they become stringy. I grow a variety called "Painted Lady" which is splashed red & white. White flowered ones set better than the red ones. some summers it is very hard to get the red ones to set at all. A farmer who grows them as a crop told me that if you want to be sure of a large crop you need to grow both, with the white ones sown a week before the red. It works! I prefer to grow the old bi-coloured variety myself, for the taste & because they are beautiful!! :D You will need to keep them really well watered.

I think your garden is looking great & I'm sure it gives you great pleasure. :thumbsup

:rose Hattie :rose

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
one year when my grandkids were little I made a wigwam/Aframe type support for my beans and made a little hidy hole for the grand kids to sit under...big enough for three... they helped plant it and so it was their special place...we would have tea parties there or just read stories in the shade of the beans...it was fun

Zucs are easy they only grow so far then put all the energy into giving you cricket bats/baseball bats for the rest of the summer...keep them picked small and they will produce all summer...

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone, for your great replies! I will hold off on the zuke and see if it stops growing soon. It's already pretty big - bigger than I thought it would get.
I can't let it crowd the other stuff too much, last year we lost our zukes to a fungus because it was too crowded.
I am looking forward to next year's beans already! I bet if I made a large wigwam my dogs would LOVE that for shade! Great stuff!!! :ya

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have no idea where I got the impression that you were supposed to cut back the leave of a zuke plant in order for the plant to focus on the fruit production.

Does anyone know if this is true? I have been trimming back the leaves for three years now.... And I generally have a bumper crop either because or in spite of. :rolleyes:

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
obsessed said:
I have no idea where I got the impression that you were supposed to cut back the leave of a zuke plant in order for the plant to focus on the fruit production.
Well, it would seem kinda logical, since that's what you do with so many other plants. I am anxious to see if anyone else does this.

Latest posts