Hen & Chicks (Pics added)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Skeeter9,
I have a type of hens & chicks that did that too. The biggest hens are growing kind of on a stem that is the old dried bottom leaves. I just broke the "head" off and put it on the soil surface. There are lots of tiny babies all over the place. I bet if I laid the stem on the soil surface, more babies would sprout. I don't think these are winter hardy.

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Could be, Lucky. I think this particular one I have doesn't do well with much sun, either, which doesn't make any sense since they are supposed to love full sun. I have moved it into the shade, so will see if that makes a difference.

So, on yours, you just pulled the hen off and set it on the soil to grow new roots?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sorry this picture is soooooooooooooooooo late! LOL

The little plastic rain boots are my daughter's she outgrew, I'm going to transplant some of the 'chicks' into those as soon as I drill holes in the bottom.

I keep this up, because it's driving the husband CRAZY!!! Hahahaha

14084_img_6795.jpg

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's way too cute, V! Those little pink boots will look great, too! Looks like you could do a whole collection along your rail, there. I'm sure your hubby won't mine!! lol :lol:

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love the idea of planting them in boots, its like a redneck flower pot :lol: .

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I get the best ideas from you guys!! I wish I had kept my grandbabies purple rain boots also the lady bug ones!!
oh, well there is always garage sales :rolleyes:

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem, I love the boots-but I love that you hung them!! Too cute! The little boots will make adorable planters. I used my daughters for years...

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I bought some, separated it, planted what I wanted in a container then left the rest in the nursery pot it came in. I kind of forgot about it. Until it bloomed!! The piece I left behind, not even in soil!! Tough plant!!

Latest posts