Herbs for BQ

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love tarragon chicken! On a BBQ, and using fresh leaves it would probably need to be tossed with a little olive oil, then it wouldn't dry out and blacken.
If you dried and ground it first, it could be added to a rub.

TheArcane

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My preferred way to grill chicken breasts is to light up the coals, and once they've ready to move them all to one side of the grill. I will cover the chicken in olive oil, thyme, and season salt, and will sear them directly over the coals on each side for around 2 minutes, or until you have nice grill marks. Doing that will help hold in a lot of the moisture and flavor, but gives a good flavor to the outside. After that I will move the chicken to the opposite side of the grill away from direct heat, and cook until it's about 165F in the middle, which usually takes around 20 minutes. You'll have a fantastic smokey flavor, and very tender chicken.

MIchael Hibberd

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I do like to use herb infused oils on the BBQ also :)
Rosemary, chilli, garlic etc. or sage on occassion. Perhaps that's just because my sage bush is out of control!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I always put fresh rosemary, thyme, & sage inside the beer can when I cook beer can chicken. I use pieces shoved down into the can to help the herbs stay moist but hot to help build flavor.

I also have basil & cilantro this year along with the ones I've listed above. Those are my "usual suspects" when it comes to herbs.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
My wife keeps a small herb garden in summer for fresh herbs. They are in self watering containers and really do not require much care.
jackb

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Mary,
I purchased the pots at Agway several years ago but have not seen them there since. They work fine after you get them going by watering from the top the first few times, and after that just keep adding water to the well on the bottom. There is a cloth wick in the well that waters the plants. I have used others that do not seem to work as well as these.

Latest posts