Here we go again...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Isn't this just about the latest Good Friday/Easter that is possible? Easter is in March, some years.

I'm trying to think . . . we could go out 28 days from the equinox. Then, it would be the next Friday/Sunday. No, I guess Easter could be a few days later than April 20th once in awhile.

So far off the solar calendar that it would be like the equivalent of a very unusual weather year.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red, since my post offended you, I apologize. I will try to do better in the future.

I did say sort of. How could I be deeply offended by someone so good looking and colorful? No apology needed between frustrated gardening friends.
If it were up to me, I'd send everyone perfect weather. . rain for the West, sun for the East, and warm spring weather for the rest of us. Alas, it's not in my job description!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule , I can't believe it will be hitting the 30's in your neck of the woods!

I walked around and checked on everything this evening. Apple trees, blueberries and my lilac are all beginning to bloom too. I'm going to tent the blueberries with 4 mil plastic and put a heat lamp in there. The apple trees are a lost cause...too big. Maybe if I toss a blanket on the lilac, they'll make it. :(

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am hoping the 34 and 36 degrees we'll be getting the next few nights won't kill my wisteria, and lilac blooms.:fl

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner, there's definitely plenty of snowpack up on our mountains, although it's been pretty mild down here, just a thin layer of ice on the animals water in the a.m..
I hope the cold does not continue for all of you on the other side of the Rockies, if it does I think you should blame NwMtGardener. :D

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Woke up to snow! Shouldn't last long but shouldn't be here!

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here in central NC in what is known as the Piedmont it is supposed to get down to 28F tonight. I'm guessing the apple and pear trees will take a hit since they are in bloom. We were hoping this would be the year because the twelve oldest trees are now almost six years old. Last year most of them made some fruit but this was going to be the year. I don't know how long it will be below freezing but I'm hoping and praying we get spared.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tried washing the frost off my fruit trees and blueberries this morning before it thawed. That's supposed to help if you get them before the frost thaws. It's physics. When the ice changes to liquid, it absorbs a lot of heat from the flowers or buds to get the energy to convert from a solid to a liquid. If you wash the frost off with water, the ice gets that energy from the water. In a heavy frost I'm not sure how much good that would do.

I just hooked up the hose and sprayed them. I hope it helps. We'll see.

Latest posts