Hibiscus Tips

chickensandagarden

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
@catjac1975 I did repot it. I thought the exact same thing. It drops down below 40 here in the winter so that's why I didn't plant it. I'm keeping it on the porch until winter then I'll bring it in.

Thanks everyone for the tips and advice. I think I'm doing everything right, maybe I just need to be patient. It was in pretty bad shape when I bought it and it is slowly starting to perk up.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I recently bought a Hibiscus from the clearance rack at Lowe's. Normally I would have passed up a Hibiscus unless it was a hardy one, but this one looked a bit rough and I just couldn't pass it by without at least trying to help it a bit. I repotted it and placed it on my porch where it gets about partial sun. I was watering it quite a bit, but I think I may have been overwatering so I backed off. It does have more green leaves popping up on it, but it has been slow. This summer has been extremely mild for us so I don't think it has been too hot for it.

Does anyone have any tips for caring for Hibiscuses?
My MIL had a tropical hibiscus for several years. It was in a pot and came to my house to summer on the porch and went to her apartment to bask in the sun of her south facing apartment for the winter. When it got too leggy it got trimmed back and would branch out from there. Did not treat it especially well and it thrived until last winter. Not sure what happened but it was sickly when I got it this spring. It quickly died after that. :(
Koi & Flowers 008.JPG

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
My MIL had a tropical hibiscus for several years. It was in a pot and came to my house to summer on the porch and went to her apartment to bask in the sun of her south facing apartment for the winter. When it got too leggy it got trimmed back and would branch out from there. :(View attachment 4051

:drool :drool :drool :clap :love :clap :drool :drool:drool That's one stunning hybiscus!:drool:drool:drool:clap:love:clap:drool:drool :drool

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are a very pretty shade of purple.
thumbsup.gif
I'll have to send you a picture.

I was in PA this weekend for Dad's birthday and picked up two more 'hardy hibiscus'. These are supposed to stay a bit more low and shrubby with HUGE pink flowers. Can't wait to get them in the ground.

Latest posts