How is the Weather . . .

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's been pleasantly blue and breezy here lately, which isn't the norm for August, but I'm not complainin'! We really need some rain though; the ground is very dry. With my hands full with baby, I forget to water the garden and flowers more often than not. Supposed to see some rain from Isaac by Sunday they say.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
The weather has been a bit changeable the past two weeks. Last week - shades of fall - we had temps in the 70s. This week the temps are gradually rising to 96 by Friday.

Still too, too, too, too, far too, dry. By my figgers, we've had 2.40 inches at the most since the first week of April. I fear I am losing trees that are 20, 30, and even over 40 years old due to the severe drought. What will remain of my perennial flower beds is a big unknown right now as well.

We've had dry summers here in south-est, central-est Wisconsin in the past - usually the summers I decided to put in expensive new plants or wide expanses of lawn, but nothing I've seen matches this summer's dry weather.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our summer has been very well behaved this year.

We've had right at 2 inches of rain this summer. However, the 1st inch fell during that 1 summer week in June! August seems to be on its way out with a rain total of - wait for it - 1/8th of an inch. Obviously, nothing in the garden would grow or even be alive by this time without irrigation. This is normal. Fortunately, the aquifer was well charged with winter snowfall.

I'll say that the highs have been a little high but nothing special. That well-behaved nature came thru. There was a short jump straight up in early July after a cooler than normal spring. Those couple of days may have been our hottest summer weather this year. Then, it settled down and did its slow warm-up, back well into the 90's. Except for a few cooler, windy days - that's where it stayed for about a month. Now, we seem to be looking at a few weeks where just topping 80 will have to be good enuf for an afternoon high.

We are entering dangerous territory when highs are only into the low 70's. The nights are so clear & long and the air so dry that we will see some 40-degree drops between a daytime high of say 72 and the morning low . . . Yep. Even if frost doesn't arrive with the morning sun, plant growth may just run down to n o t h i n g . . .

My brother lives in this valley. Or, at least it was all the same valley prehistorically, before the Ice Age floods. His elevation is 200 feet higher than here and his part of the world has already had 2 mornings where the thermometer showed 35!

I'm ahoping . . . that when the rains do come, they will behave themselves and fall only during the night so that the sunrise might break thru the rain clouds and bring us a nice warm day. Whoa be to us if a rainstorm blows thru during an afternoon and the clouds disappear as darkness falls! The lawn will be covered with frost by morning.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, you're always so succinct about what's happening with our weather :) . It's been so beautiful lately, but you can surely feel the fall coming. I had to get up and close the window around 4ish this morning, brrrr! I worried about the peppers and tomatoes, but fortunately it was only down to 44.

What is it a local weatherlady said? We creep into spring and swan dive into fall? That's about right. I've got my fingernails dug into summer and I'm not letting go!

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
71 here today. Breezy. Lovely. It was a wonderful "almost fall" cool morning. Will heat up during the day and then tomorrow is suppossed to be, 90 and humid. YUCK! If you don't like the weather in New England, wait a minute, it will change. This weekend, we may hit 80 but not humid.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here in Northern California we almost never get rain in July and August. Sure to type, we have had none, not even a sign of rain since June 11th. Oh wait, one day around August 3rd or so, about 8 drops fell. The weather service did not report it though. It probably did not get through the cobwebs in their rain gauges! Not even a tr. was mentioned.

But yes, spirit groundwater has been very loving! A lot of folks don't know that spirit groundwater works along with spirits sun and moon, but it's actually true. Groundwater has tides like the ocean, but much less marked due to less mass. Our groundwater actually flows from the Sierras. It passes aquifers at different elevations, and tidal forces slosh the water into higher aquifer reservoirs.

Course then, ya never know when the bigfoot kids will tamper with our spring!

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hot and dry. We hit over 90 for the 46th time this summer on Thursday. For the month of August we had.12 inches of rain. The average for our area is 3.25 inches. At least it is cooling down at night now.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here in SW Washington daytime temps now are in mid 70's and low to mid 50's at night. Mostly sunny with a few fluffy clouds. No rain for the last month. The last few days the Cottonwood trees' leaves are starting to turn a golden yellow. Tent caterpillars are starting to make their pressence known by their huge web nests.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Shade is creeping in on the south bed of my garden.

Shade counts as weather!

Harvested all the Guarijio Amaranth, most of the Golden Amaranth, some of the Sunflowers, the rest of the Quinoa gets harvested as soon as the Golden Amaranth is all harvested out. This will give a bit more light to the rest of the garden. Days shorten fast in a forest clearing.

This winter 2 nearby trees come out. Looking at a Fir that passed on this year, and there is a Pine that was dead last year that I ran out of time to cut before the poison oak near it budded out. That Fir is gonna be a "hanger", and the Pine will need to be aimed just right.

Latest posts