How long will zucchini plants produce?

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Okay another zucchini question. I know, I know all I ever talk about is zucchini (or beans), but this is serious. I now have plants that have small zucchini's that I hand pollinated this morning. Is now the time to start new hills growing so that in 30 or 45 days when these play out I have more fresh zucchini? I never knew that they only produced for 30 or 45 days, I just read this on another gardening forum.

Thanks, Melissa

Picture of my zucchini's, my babies. As you can see there is room to plant another hill or two. I want to maintain two hills all summer long. I've been eating a grilled zucchini (from the failed barrel experiment) every night for a week now. I have three Ichabod Eggplants ready and two Green Bell peppers and I want to make a stir fry this weekend. Yummy!!!! I will never tire of zucchini. :drool

6832_garden3_009.jpg

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They should keep on producing for you all summer long as long as you keep picking them when their small around 6 to 8 inches. But yes another hill or two will improve your yield more.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My rule of thumb is to start new plants about every two months away from the old ones so mildew will not spread to them. I tear the old plants out at the first sign of mildew. That's usually a sign that your plants are getting worn out and I don't find it's worth fighting mildew on older plants. That's what the compost heap is for.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
So much will depend on your conditions. I have had plants produce all summer- and others which are overcome with mildew, before I got tired of zucchini!
Do you have another garden spot further away from your current plants?

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, I do and I can move the existing soaker hose with it as I have the new drip irrigation. I will sow some seed this weekend. Thanks for the great advise!!!!

Latest posts