How warm for carrots to sprout?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yipee, AmyRey!!! I know patience is so important in gardening- and I like you, have a very limited amount!! I force myself not to go look at seeds I planted the day before!!! Congrats on your carrots!

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
AmyRey said:
The day God was handing out patience, I grew impatient and got out of line.
:yuckyuck
That's me! Don't know how I'm gonna wait 3 weeks!! :p

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
Yipee, AmyRey!!! I know patience is so important in gardening- and I like you, have a very limited amount!! I force myself not to go look at seeds I planted the day before!!! Congrats on your carrots!
Oh, I totally get it about looking the next day to see if seeds are coming up yet!! :tools

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
baymule said:
lesa said:
Oh, I totally get it about looking the next day to see if seeds are coming up yet!! :tools
Me too...I'm prone to checking several times a day. Starting the day I planted them. :lol:

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think I'm going to try floating row covers for carrots next time.

(Last time, I carefully mixed seeds with sand and broadcast them in their assigned spot, only to have it *pour* down rain and wash everything away. That was last year -- I now see *two* carrot tops out there, not a great return on a whole scoop of seed from the hardware store!)

-Wendy

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'll be doing the seed tape next time for sure.

All mine ended up clumped together and thinning was REALLY hard.

Lorelai

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thread revival! :celebrate

Okay. Our carrots went into the ground 2-3 weeks ago. We live in Northwest Washington, zone 8, and always seem to have trouble getting carrots to come up. Our climate is fairly wet; even in the summer, we can't get around it very well. Help? Perspective? Anyone have luck, or not, with carrots in our climate? We're trying very hard this year to focus on growing food that we actually eat on a regular basis, and I find that I cook with carrots frequently, especially when I'm making stock on a regular basis. I really don't want to give up on the carrot dream! :hit

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. :)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
wsmoak said:
I think I'm going to try floating row covers for carrots next time.

(Last time, I carefully mixed seeds with sand and broadcast them in their assigned spot, only to have it *pour* down rain and wash everything away. That was last year -- I now see *two* carrot tops out there, not a great return on a whole scoop of seed from the hardware store!)

-Wendy
Don't give up yet. Check downslope of the bed they washed from. You may have some surprise carrots coming up in odd places.

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Don't give up yet. Check downslope of the bed they washed from. You may have some surprise carrots coming up in odd places.
It's a raised bed, most of them ended up along the edge. There are a few more now. :) We pulled the largest one this weekend but it had split at the top and was bitter.

--
Wendy

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lorelai said:
Thread revival! :celebrate

Okay. Our carrots went into the ground 2-3 weeks ago. We live in Northwest Washington, zone 8, and always seem to have trouble getting carrots to come up. Our climate is fairly wet; even in the summer, we can't get around it very well. Help? Perspective? Anyone have luck, or not, with carrots in our climate? We're trying very hard this year to focus on growing food that we actually eat on a regular basis, and I find that I cook with carrots frequently, especially when I'm making stock on a regular basis. I really don't want to give up on the carrot dream! :hit

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. :)
Don't give up on them coming up, carrots are notoriously slow. I planted mine on April 23, and today I just see the teeniest sprouts emerging. :)

Latest posts