How Were Your Tomatoes This Year?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Smiles, No one would have expected you to be able to pick up where your dad left off. We are just so happy to have you here, growing along with us and having fun chatting.
I would be pleased beyond words if one of my kids felt the calling to pick up where I leave off on my hobbies and interests. You have paid your dad the highest complement.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
maybe someone one selected for it and named it themselves.
I suspect that. An example, Woodle is not what I had from the get-go. It wasn't large and through 4 or 5 seasons, it wasn't orange.

Without Marshall's help, I couldn't settle on a name.

By the way, the original Woodle doesn't seem to have gained much traction after years of availability. That might change now that Baker Creek sells the seed.

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Smiles Jr. I agree 100% with @so lucky We were blessed to get to know your Dad and are Very happy to have you here. Hang around and learn with us. Believe me I have a lot to learn myself!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smilesjr, my husband and kids don't understand why I just don't buy my veggies at the farmer's market. They tell me it's easier and cheaper with my water costs. I don't know if any of them will ever be gardener's. Perhaps one of my grandkids. It just touches my heart how you are following in your dad's footsteps.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My kids aren't gardeners either, even though they had their own small plots when they were little and seemed to enjoy the process.
But there is still hope, Kid#1 wants to grow a few things and now that he finally has a small yard he may be able to next year.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_20151001_134106.jpg

The cherry corral this year.

The larger golds are the SunSugar. They are usually only distinguishable by sight from the Sungold by being just a little lighter in color. Both varieties are there, together.

The tiny ivory-colored ones are Coyote. A significant difference in flavor with those. Still very sweet and that is unusual in my limited experience for any open pollinated cherry to be as sweet as the golden hybrids. The flavor very much says "tomato," and it is quite pronounced.

There are Yellow Jellybeans in there - more of a grape. The plants did fine this year, the first time I've grown this variety. I've grown Red Jellybeans for two seasons now and can't see a one! It has to be my final try with those. The plants had problems as seedlings, seemed to come through that okay but aren't very productive.

The reds in the basket are Super Sweet 100's. I've grown them for years and grew their Sweet 100 (not Super) relative before the improved version. There are larger red cherries that I would prefer (Sweet Chelsea, another relative) but DW claims those are too big to eat in a single bite. I have 'em some years, anyway ...

;) Steve

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
would have to say we were very happy..
marianna...<johnnys seeds> put out buckets upon buckets...
super sweet seedless... <tomato growers supply> nice size and yes sweet but after awhile petered out..still a do over..
lemon cherry...<tomato growers supply> good flavor for an cherry tomato, but whole cow it needs a massive trellis or some heavy pruning...

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My tomato crop was poorer than previous years.
I am to blame though, as unfortunately in the super heat, and long dry spell we experienced, the plants dried out a couple of time on me. Not good..That's a problem when using containers. You really need to water twice a day, and I just didn't make the time.
I tried Rapunzel's for the first time, and though they were extremely sweet, they were pretty small. Smaller than regular cherry tomato's. (Again it may have been the lack of regular watering).
I also tried growing Sweethearts, and they were great, with pretty good numbers of fruits. I still pick a few every day from the ones in the greenhouse.

Latest posts