Howdy from South Central Texas

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi, Sam, and welcome to the friendliest forum around. I'm so envious of your weather this time of year. In July I won't be envious.

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Are those raise beds?

Yes, as a matter of fact they are.

Melon_Patch_Mulched_1.jpg

Asparagus_Bed1_101214.jpg

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
OMG :ep those are some FINE raised beds. Ours are only 2X12 boards. I still have to bend over way to much. And we have grass (weeds) between rows. This looks so much nicer and cleaner. TFS.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Sam. I see you are a very knowledable computer person. I am probably the most computer challenged person in the group! You have so much space in which to garden. I'm a little envious. I like how your garden is so neat and organized. I like to have neat gardens also with no weeds. Ha

Do you have chickens or any animals?

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is impressive. I don't know where you get your water. I have one that is raised pretty high and I'm glad I've got a couple of rain barrels nearby for that, but I can see some real benefits of having them that high. it's a lot easier on your back. And not having grass in the area around them means you won't have grass coming up through the bottom that is impossible to get out.

Very well done!

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You have so much space in which to garden. I'm a little envious. I like how your garden is so neat and organized. I like to have neat gardens also with no weeds.

I mulch heavily every spring (28 yards of finely shredded pine bark). A 3-4" layer really goes a long way in weed suppression, so it usually only takes me 20 minutes once a week to 'weed. In addition to weed suppression, mulch is an great way to add organic matter to the soil.

Do you have chickens or any animals?

Two dogs & of course the cattle.

I don't know where you get your water.

We live 'out in the sticks' & get all our water from our well.

I have one that is raised pretty high, but I can see some real benefits of having them that high. it's a lot easier on your back.

That's true of the asparagus bed, which is 4' X 25'... however the main garden requires a lot of bending over like any other garden. It is 50' X 80'.

Last edited:

goatgurl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
welcome Sam to TEG. glad you're here. your gardens look marvelous! they are so much neater than mine even think about being.

Latest posts