How's everyone's potatoes going?

justusnak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well, here it is June..and still no blossoms on my taters. :/ We have had the worst weather...cold, wet..then in the upper 80's, then back to the lower 50's. Oh, they are growing faster than I can keep them covered....its not a great pic...but here they are, as of today...they have 4 layers of hey/compost on them, and I just covered them 3 days ago...needing it again. :rolleyes:
5639_taters5june09.jpg

My row is 15 ft long and 3 feet wide. Hopeing for a great harvest!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My flowers have fallen off awhile ago.... so far... they are only wilting I think because they have caught the early blight my tomatoes caught.

I have my fingers crossed they caught it so late it won't affect development at this point!

P.s. - Its been a couple weeks now since the flowers fell off for those wondering.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My potatoes have pretty much stopped growing. Some bloomed about a month ago, but they're still green and vibrant. I have some getting ready to bloom now too. I dug down and found plenty of beautiful, red potatoes. Im really thinking about grabbing some, just for the heck of it. One accidentally broke off in my hand too. :lol:

If I picked some today, would the plant still produce more??? I noticed a small one forming on one of the vines. Im anxious to see what I've got!

justusnak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Mine have YET to bloom! Jeesh! They have a bad case of Flea Beetles....which I am treating with DE. Thats what the website reccomended. But...still no blooms.. :/

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
theOEGBman said:
My potatoes have pretty much stopped growing. Some bloomed about a month ago, but they're still green and vibrant. I have some getting ready to bloom now too. I dug down and found plenty of beautiful, red potatoes. Im really thinking about grabbing some, just for the heck of it. One accidentally broke off in my hand too. :lol:

If I picked some today, would the plant still produce more??? I noticed a small one forming on one of the vines. Im anxious to see what I've got!
Yes--I think it's actually called "grabbing" :) I do it, too. As long as you don't uproot anything, you can feel around under the dirt for the large potatoes and leave the tiny ones to continue forming. Isn't this fun?

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
my potatoes are growing like crazy too. They just started flowering here in my central Indiana. But since they continue to grow taller I keep adding compost/straw/mulch mixture(ok hubby keep adding-with my help) to the tops.
Every other day they need more around them.
I'm using the tall wire basket method for the first time.
With all these green tops and little purple flowers forming-there BETTER be some potatoes in there somewhere.
Dying to see, but being patient.
As soon as the top are done I'll be busting those baskets open to reap a bounty...hehe

inchworm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have my first bloom today. Stared poking around in the dirt to find a tater, but got distracted....

Reaction score
I have two rows of taters..new to this so here goes silly questions...Why do u need to cover them so much ? Mine are about a foot tall beautiful and green!

Latest posts