I broke the wheel barrow!

pretty40acres

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have went through a few wheelbarrows myself. I have one old one with the bottom all rusted out in my flowerbed. it looks kinda cool! I have it tipped up with the handle part up in the air and I put some dirt in it and planted flowers in front of it. It is at the end of my yard so when someone comes down the first thing they see is what they might think is a wheelbarrow dumping flowers out. We buried the front and the wheel in the ground and put some metal stakes behind it attached to the legs. We even put some flowers kinda inside the front that is in the ground too. Gives your flowerbed kindof a different look that's interesting and you don't have to find a way to fix or get rid of an old wheelbarrow. I also have hand plows and wagon wheels in my flower beds too. This idea doesn't give you new ones but it helps cut down on trash and makes you flowerbed interesting. The wagon wheels and hand plows are great for decoration to add a little more to interest and they are also awesome for things like climbing roses and clematis or anything that climbs.

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Carol Dee said:
Somehow we have THREE wheelborrows around. They should all be rolled into the gully and ONE good one bought. :p One plastic one has a hole burned in the bottom (long story - ask DH.) Other plastic one is cracked. The metal one is SO old, banged out of shape, rusting and handles give you splinters. Happy you will be getting a new one. :lol:
I like my cracked plastic one. When I forget to park it up on-end it doesn't fill with water and breed mosquitoes.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I know mine is not repairable. That's another reason I hate the plastic models. The front cracked and pieces were falling out for years. Finally the whole front broke when I was dumping all the weeds out. I did drill a few small holes in the bottom for drainage way back, but that isn't what finally made it give. I'm still able to roll it with a 'wee' bit of stuff in it pushed toward the back, but that doesn't work for how much I use the thing. I need to move some more compost this week to side dress my corn so I better get my truck running again and get the wheel barrow soon. I have 4 rows to finish in one garden and 2 beds in another garden to get dressed and planted too. Then I'm done planting! HOORAY!

Pretty, I LOVE that idea with the flowers spilling out. I've seen similar in magazines and I adore that idea! My plastic one, not so pretty. Maybe if I come across a free wheel barrow that's all beat and rusted out, I may pick it up and give that idea a try. Sounds amazing!

CuteChick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
retiredwith4acres said:
My DH just remodeled my old wheelbarrow last month, new handles, tire. It works like new. He has found old parts of another since we moved here and is making a flat cart out of it to move some wood, etc.
now that is ingenuity

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I took my MIL (RIP, 1998)'s old, small, rusting out metal wheelbarrow and spray painted it last Fall. My DD's leave around lots of spray paint from their hobby, so it turned out brown with silver handles, etc. and is still useful.
At MY house something has to die several deaths before I pitch it.

Latest posts