I dug up the horseradish

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said

....If those professional landscapers Thistle is talking about maintain it, they probably do it mostly with chemicals
.[/QUOTE]

My point is that the term "landscaper" as I used it defines the landscape architects that do the design and the landscape companies that do the installation of sprinklers, fabric, plants and mulch.
Then they all drive away.
Those people don't do maintenance usually. If the folks who installed all that crummy fabric had to come back in a year or two to do the maintenance, and do the plant revisions like dividing or adding plants to the landscape, then there would be a substantial drop in that application.

It just makes me crazy when I'm waiting in line at a big nursery (or even the small ones now that I think about it ) and one of the employees is doing a sales job on somebody to put fabric down.
Those are folks who know plants, but they don't get out there and work in the landscape and see what a miserable mess that stuff turns into.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
A nuclear explosion would just scatter bits of the roots and stems and help Bermuda grass spread. :hide

I'm sure we all have our own problem grass or weeds, like quack grass or bindweed. Bermuda just happens to be mine.

One member of this forum who worked at that type of maintenance said they sprayed a grass-only killer in landscaping beds to control grass. I won't mention the name because other forum members will let us know that only a really horrible person uses herbicides for anything. I readily admit to being a horrible person. I used a grass killer in an iris bed and a landscaping bed on the Bermuda grass and it worked really well. I don't use it anywhere close to anything related to food including fruit or nut trees but I'll expand that use to a few other places next year, like a couple of roses that are a problem keeping the grass out.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
What do u use in iris's?

(I am horrible as well)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That might be me you're talking about Ridge. I use a grass killer when I have to. When the grass is growing up through perennials and there's no way of picking it all out. I charge hourly and it's understandable that someone wouldn't want to pay for a couple of hours of painstaking fiddly work when I can use a chemical and take care of the problem in minutes.

@seedcorn, one of the products I use is Grass-b-Gone. There's another that I use and can never remember the name of- I'll run out and look- (pant!) it's Hi-Yield grass killer.

Latest posts