I have fennel, now what?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Thistle', I've grown both bulb and sweet fennel.

I really like the flavor of licorice but just couldn't bring myself to eat a vegetable cooked or in a salad with that flavor. It had no appeal to me. I shoulda, coulda, woulda - if I had any sense :rolleyes:.

The sweet fennel grew and bloomed. I wanted to try the leaves for tea - blech! But, then I've had fennel seeds in various things so I waited, anticipating seeds. The plants didn't have time.

They survived a winter and now, I left the leaves alone and watched it begin to flower. The bees went crazy over it! But once again - frost destroyed the flowers before they matured seeds :hu.

Steve
So which would you say bronze fennel was, bulb or sweet? I guess if yours didn't have time to make seeds, mine certainly won't.
But if the bees and butterflies like it I'll be happy.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Johnny's says it is "non-bulbing," Thistle'.

Claims it will make seed after overwintering in "mild areas."

I don't know if it needs a mild winter or a long, mild growing season but maybe it is different in more ways than color, from the standard sweet fennel.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Steve! I guess I'll find out next year if it goes to seed. Since it's in a pot, it may survive if I overwinter it in the garage.

Did your new transplants survive today's horrific wind?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was out there this morning . . .

It was bad but I think it got worse. My guess is that they did okay because they looked fine early on - deeply buried.

The wind gusts were more severe at Sandpoint, as best as I understand. Could there really be over 10 feet of snow still on Schweitzer Mountain?!? (Wunderground) I'd think this wind could peel a little of that off the top of the hill!

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, my sons friends have been hiking up and snowboarding down ( Schweitzer ) since they closed the season in April. Crazy. There's still lots of snow on Mt. Spokane too. I was working at Hayden lake this afternoon and the whitecaps looked like the ocean.
I hope we catch a break and get some nice mellow warm weather soon.

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Italian recipies often call for fennel. I put it in my spaghetti sauce and now no spaghetti sauce is right without it! Love it.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't have to plant fennel for seed. It grows wild all over the place here. All I have to do is go collect it when the seed heads dry. Needless to say we have both varieties of swallowtails in abundance. I wish we saw more black ones though. What beauties they are.

Latest posts