I have rose issues

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OK, so I am "rose-challeneged". Actually, it is my lack of attention this past year that has led to the demise of one of my bushes and has the rest looking pucky. My 2 big roses that are still hanging on have several *very* dead branches - can I cut these off or wait until winter? And this is one of my mini-roses - what's wrong with it's foliage?

IMG_2199.jpg

IMG_2200.jpg

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah, go ahead and snip off that tiny bit of blackspot fungus. Any dead or dying branches should be cut back, so as long as you have the leaves off you can wait until dormancy to take the stems that have it off (dead or dying).

Do not throw that in the mulch. Do not let any fallen leaves that have it sit on the soil. Be sure and destroy these by fire or by way of the trashbin.

I do not know of any household cures for this, but any fungicide will do.

I think your bush looks healthy and this is not going to be a problem, as long as you do not perpetuate this by allowing the fungus to continue. It will probably be a yearly thing for your region. No biggy.

Good looking bush! :bee

Ron

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a fungicide I can use on it. So I should remove the leaves but leave the stems?

Also, about my 2 "big" bushes - they have 3-4 deaddeaddead branches each - do I leave them until dormancy? Or can I remove them now?

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I believe they recommend the dormancy period for any cane removal is so there is no spread to the newly cut wood.

Keep your tools cleaned by wiping with alcohol or bleach solution.

Ron

homestead holdout

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This little guy looked exactly like yours last year, from neglect.... I did nothing but pay more attention to it when watering and added compost this spring... Just took pic today... I know the fungus is bad but sometimes it just goes away, clearly.... GOOD LUCK!

6498_picture_347.jpg

SarahFair

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
OK, so I am "rose-challeneged". Actually, it is my lack of attention this past year that has led to the demise of one of my bushes and has the rest looking pucky. My 2 big roses that are still hanging on have several *very* dead branches - can I cut these off or wait until winter? And this is one of my mini-roses - what's wrong with it's foliage?

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l45/featherbrain_2006/IMG_2199.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l45/featherbrain_2006/IMG_2200.jpg
Ha! Yours looks like mine.. :hide

homestead holdout

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
homestead holdout said:
Wow, very nice color! I want to see the rest; I can see some Clematis seedheads. I am completely jealous! :bee

Ron
Whoa..... You ARE GOOD! :bow Indeed Clematis seedheads... This is what it looks like in "sort of bloom." My page has LOTS of pics, trying to remember to take them when things look great.......... I missed the photo opp on my big roses this spring and actually they didnt do so hot this fall, usually make 2nd big come back, but only put on a slight show, its a bummer.... must be climate change

6498_img_4126.jpg

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ohhh that is beautiful!

You're just like me! I love it when we leave the hose out for pictures LOL. I think I have a picture of every hose I have owned!

I adore that arbor, how sweet! It really looks like it would be in a garden book :bouquet Your touch and hard work is wonderful.

Thank you for sharing,

Ron

Latest posts