I reckon the hen that laid this egg......

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
......just didn't have "that much time".......

6615_1z.jpg

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Also called a rooster egg (and other descriptive names) it usually won't have a yolk - just egg whites - but granddaughter boiled one bitty egg and took it to school to find it was a completely formed egg.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Speaking of not having enough time---I don't want to steal your thread, but have any of you ever had a chicken that laid eggs quicker than 24 hours apart? I think I read that somewhere around 25 hours is the norm. But the one girl of mine that lays the soft shelled eggs from the roost---when she does that, it is quicker than 24 hours from the last egg. Could it be that they just travel too quickly to get the right amount of calcium for the shell? Scarlet will lay eggs for 3 days in the nest around 10am to noon, with no problem, but on the 4th day, there will be a broken egg on the floor of the coop, under the roost, when I let them out in the morning. I do collect eggs daily, and always check the nests when I lock the girls up at night. Have you ever heard of a chicken not taking the time to form the egg?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I believe I read that it takes about 3 days for an egg to pass through a chicken for laying. There are several eggs at different stages of development at all times. It can happen that a slight 'hic-up' in her reproductive system is causing the egg to miss its time building the calcium layer. This usually happens in new layers as their system works out all the kinks.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmmm. She's not young, two years old in April. And this is something kind of new, mainly this spring when she started up again after taking off for the winter. Definitely a hic-up in the system somehow. :(

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is obvious that her hormones are out of ballance due to advancing age. I would invite her to a hot tub soup party ! ;)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
wait.... which egg are we supposed to be looking at?
Both are pretty average for my flock. I get a WIDE range of sizes and regularly get double-yolks.

Latest posts