I think my soil is lacking something...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
All my starts I transplanted the leaves are turning a pale green/yellow and not the deep green they should be. :hu

Could is be a combination of things it is lacking, or most likely 1 or another only? Like low on nitrogen?

Suggestions would be great, I have about 25 plants out looking shabby. :tongue

Rozzie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Did you gradually harden them off?

Seedlings that go from the house or from a shady area can get sunburned very quickly. Some might make it if this is the case.

Also might be low in nitrogen. I'd lean towards sunburn if they just went out in the garden, though.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Is this old growth or new growth that's looking like that?

I would not draw any conclusions (or even have any suspicions) about soil until/unless I saw more than one pair of new-growth leaves (that is, come in SINCE planting in the ground) growing up yellowy.

If you do see that in the new growth in lots of the plants, you could presumptively try giving at least some of them a little boost of nitrogen; and/or have a soil test done, which would probably be a good idea if you haven't recently and are having growth problems because a lot of nutrient deficiencies can masquerade as each other.

If these are newly transplanted though I shouldn't be at ALL surprised if it's just old growth (leaves put out pre-transplant) that are not all that thrilled about the sudden change in regime. Which is not a big deal as long as growth continues and new stuff comes on.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
new-growth leaves(that is, come in SINCE planting in the ground) growing up yellowy.
This also includes seeds I sprouted right there in the soil. These were moved from inside to my greenhouse where they were for weeks and then to the beds. They've been in the beds for as much as 2 weeks. (Some just last weekend.)

So the original leaves were yellowing, and now the new growth is too.

Looks like they all need a boost to get them going... nitrogen is probably likely as I gave all the transplants (not the seeds I started) some Bone Meal during transplant.

Latest posts