I tilled up my lawn today...

Crunchie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I was tired of the lawn. It was mostly weeds, anyway. And useless. Who needs a lawn? :lol: But now, see, I don't know what the heck to do with this very large patch of bare earth.

I want the area to eventually be a nice kitchen garden, though I know that the soil needs some improving first. But I want it to look nice, too (it is, after all, my front lawn :p). I have this vision in my head of something that looks like a cottage-type garden, but full of veggies and herbs instead. Something seemingly random, yet functional and planned. Does that make sense? I want A-frame trellises with limas and pole beans, creeping herbs spilling over the egdes (the whole area is raised), neat peppers tucked here and there, and squash, well, taking over and whatnot. Maybe a few interesting flowers just for fun & cutting. But I have no idea where to start. I really need to make a plan, or else random yet functional is just going to be a random mess that results in a bunch of unhappy plants.

Any ideas of where I should start? My impulsiveness will get the best of me one day... :rolleyes:

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:rainbow-sunI don't really have any great ideas but maybe you could start at your local bookstore or library sitting on the floor reading about that tyoe gardening.

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well that is what we did in our backyard area, we have 5 acres but fenced off a backyard roughly 100x40 with one area expanding to 60 ft to create a kinda microclimate, more condusive to growing veggies and such. Last fall I deceided that if I'm going to water something then it is going to be something we can eat so out went the grass and veggie gardens were expanded, then like you I stared at a large bare area. I did alot of googling :caf and checked out lots of gardening books from the library. This will probably be a work in progress for a couple years for us, but we did build a pergola that is in the middle of it all so we can view it all at once. Now when I'm not planting veggies I am trying to create different seating areas and different little garden areas. We did keep one area grass about 20x20 and that is where the hammock goes. It seems that Better Homes and Gardens site had some really nice garden layouts, might give you some ideas. Most importantly have fun with it, your ideas already sound great :happy_flower :watering

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Crunchie, what would you think of growing a couple of cover crops to control the weeds and improve the soil?

It is already well into the Spring in your zone 7a garden. You can, of course, grow warm season veggies if you want but a lot of those weeds have been depositing seeds into your lawn soil for years. Also, it is difficult to kill lawn grass with a rototiller.

Planting just about any grain now should produce a stand of plants that can, at least, compete with this unwanted grass and weeds. Tilling everything again in August would permit planting annual winter rye at that time. You may need to mow before the tiller can do a good job.

By next spring, the rye should by dense and succulent. And, the grass, especially, should be gone. Turning that under a couple of times before planting to all these vegetables and herbs that you'd like to have in your yard may make this entire transformation a little easier. Also, growing these grains should look fairly good and lawn-like, anyway.

. . . just my 2.

Steve

Crunchie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks guys! :D

COgirl, your backyard sounds awesome!

Steve--cover crops!! That's a great idea. I know this is a long-term project, so I don't have any delusions that the garden is going to look like what it looks like in my mind this year (or ever, even :lol:). And I am behind this year, anyway. But I could plant some of what I want to grow there this year (my beans, maybe some tomatoes, then a few little things that I don't have room for in my other beds) and cover crop between a few planted areas. Now there's an idea. Then till everything under in the fall and plant a winter cover crop...It would give me a much better starting point for some of my bigger ideas next spring. Especially because I am having a hard time getting good compost from my not-so-well-managed pile, which is the size of a house (literally--we have 6 horses, a herd of goats, and 50+ chickens--manure is something we do really well). It is too wet for us to get the tractor close enough to turn the thing. Ugh!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, it sounds like you have a great idea, good supplies to get started... and a true view on how things will take time. I have some prep work to do this year still for next year... but it took me last summer, all fall and all winter get everything prepped to have the tiny gardens I have now!

Time and patience and careful planning are what you need.

I like Digits' idea of the cover crops... its seems like the best way to cover a large piece of land, get it all prepped for a long time of love and growing. Its more budget friendly for a yard that size too.

I am also going for the cottage yard feeling. I'm just pulling up a little yard here and a little yard there.... adding flowers... some ground cover I don't have to mow... some small trees and LOTS of herbs for eating and for a welcoming scent for visitors.

I'm leaving lawn though.... my husband WANTS something to mow... and I think it'll make for good pathes. :D

Please take photos as you work and share your story with us... it sounds just wonderful!!!!

inchworm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'll come help. I'm great at killing grass :rolleyes:

Inchworm

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We just got a book about living off your own land, ohhhhh crap I cant remember the name, I will post it tomorrow. ANYWAYS it has sketches of cottage yard garden plans for different sized plots, what to put where and all. I will get that for you tomorrow!!!