I wish I knew how to do this....

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's real cute! I know how to do that!!! All I have to do is measure once, cut 3 or 4 times, apply nails haphazzardly, and "eyeball" it for level/straightness!! :lol:

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually, the floor is flat and level, the front up and down, probably the back too. The sides are both the same degree outward, I think to the same lower height in the back as the front. The front 2nd floor triangle is even. What mostly goes askew is the roof beam, and of course, the box of the gable is normal, but is turned forward.

Most of the other stuff is ornamental skewering. Very cool!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bet even money that Monty could make these.

Shingles, custom split extra wide like those from fresh cut green redwood and then allowed to dry flat out in the summer sun, then nailed in with predrilled holes, maybe with a wide flat washer on each nail, otherwise it'd split fersure. Oh, and making those outer eaves with a bandsaw. Doing these really looks like a lot of fun.

What a great kind of wintertime bunch of projects these could be for carpenters who get very few jobs in wintertime! Not only fun, but they'd sell pretty well, plus show off the skill as the best kind of advertising, be great practice, and a chance to work on some of the little ornamental nice things that some folks may want on their new house. Windows with real shutters and a planter under them, jigsawn trim, custom made round windows, extra steep roof with a windowed gable. Things like that can really raise the value of a real house that is not made fanciful but uses some of the skills that these can show.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planters under windows are cute... in reality they are an open invitation to termites to join the party and enjoy consuming the 2 x 4s (6s) of your home.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know I've seen lumber in the home improvement center that is twisted enough to work on that shed. Unfortunately, DH likes his corners square and plumb so I doubt I'll ever get a building like that. Yup, you can identify the flower garden beds he's made and the flower garden beds I've made by shape alone.

I remember the first construction effort of my cousin, Russ. He was proud of his small shed until he went to hang the door. As he tells it, he stood in a long line on a Saturday morning waiting to order a door that was 29 3/4 on the top and 31 5/8 on the bottom. When he reached the order desk and made his request, the retailer looked over him and called, "Next!"

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
So cute!

I think marshall is onto something. I think it looks much more twisted then it really is because of the windows at an angle and the varied trim board, etc. It sure would be super cool to have one though.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The siding is slab wood in shiplap fashion. Well, without the joinery work to the boards - slapdash fashion.

It used to be quite easy to find slab wood at the small saw mills. Now, you can't find the small saw mills! Maybe there is some that you can locate by calling around. I could never think of anything to do with slab wood other than build a woodshed and never felt a reason to have walls on the woodshed I built.

Of course, under the slab wood could be OSB or plywood sheathing.

I think the dormer might be might be something where you'd just take odd-sized pieces and find a way to nail them together. THEN, you could set it on the roof and turn it until it was flush with the roof deck. I wouldn't know how measure anything like that. lol The angle of the dormer would just be whatever fit on the roof.

Steve

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow, I love all the info on this thread, and I'm glad I'm not the only one charmed by the little crooked house.

I'm going to try to make something similar, about 15-18" tall, as a display piece in a tiny cottage garden. I feel like I'd be able to call it a success if it holds together when I'm done. :D

Latest posts