If anyone is interested in Redbud seeds..

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i have a Redbud tree that is going to get cut down soon. It is in the wrong place - and wasn't pruned property - and somehow they managed to make this redbud tree kind of ugly and in the way. BUT, the seed pods are looking ready to do something with, so if someone wants to start a redbud from seed, i'll send you all the seeds you can handle. :)

I read that if you want them to germinate in under 3 years, you should scarify or stratify the seeds. I'll leave that to you.

Just lemme know. :rainbow-sun

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow that is beautiful!

Yes please! I would love to grow this tree!

I would be happy to trade something for said seed.

Could you post a link to the info about sprouting the seed?
I ask this because you seem to do some great research work!
I don't look around to much for info, I am from the "School Of Hard Knocks".
And Eby tells me I have A.D.D., this would explain all of the unfinished projects.
That is a whole other thread there!
But real info is wonderful!

Thanks for the offer!

Joe

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
injunjoe said:
Wow that is beautiful!

Yes please! I would love to grow this tree!

I would be happy to trade something for said seed.

Could you post a link to the info about sprouting the seed?
I ask this because you seem to do some great research work!
I don't look around to much for info, I am from the "School Of Hard Knocks".
And Eby tells me I have A.D.D., this would explain all of the unfinished projects.
That is a whole other thread there!
But real info is wonderful!

Thanks for the offer!

Joe
Thanks for the credit, Joe. I mostly just google. :D

But here are a few of the sources i came across:

Stratify Method
http://www.ehow.com/how_5395606_propagate-redbud-trees.html

Scarify Method - read the fifth entry from the top
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/trees/msg042218469115.html

Boiling method - AND how to tell if they're fertile, so you don't waste your time.
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/redbud-tree-propagation-instructions

P.M. me your info, and i'll get it in the mail tomorrow or Monday.

I'll be excited to see how you do with them.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love redbuds! They are the first burst of color we get around here in the spring, quickly followed by white dogwood. The wild ones are the exact same species as what you can buy in catalogs. Nobody around here would have any need to buy one though!

I had one in my old rock garden where I lived before this, and with a little thoughtful pruning, I found it made a very nice architectural tree. The leaves are pretty too, even after all the blooming is done (and the bloom time lasts for several weeks!)

Bet you didn't know that you can eat the young seed pods? My grandma used to use them in stirfry just like you would snow peas.

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
journey11 said:
I love redbuds! They are the first burst of color we get around here in the spring, quickly followed by white dogwood. The wild ones are the exact same species as what you can buy in catalogs. Nobody around here would have any need to buy one though!

I had one in my old rock garden where I lived before this, and with a little thoughtful pruning, I found it made a very nice architectural tree. The leaves are pretty too, even after all the blooming is done (and the bloom time lasts for several weeks!)

Bet you didn't know that you can eat the young seed pods? My grandma used to use them in stirfry just like you would snow peas.
I actually did read that recently - the buds too! People put them both in their salads. :D I love stuff like that.

I actually have another redbud tree in a different area on my property. We unknowingly cut it down - it was pretty small - when we were clearing out some brush, but it sprouted up several branches from the small trunk. So i may encourage its growth in that area. I could even take some cuttings from that smaller one and do something there. There are lots of them around here too - probably not as many as where you are.

Good pruning really is important with this one, i think. It would have made all the difference with the one i'm cutting down.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have two Redbud trees in my yard. One is an Eastern Redbud and the other is the Texas/Oklahoma Redbud (which must be what you have).

I have never heard of any trouble with seed, but rather the contrary that they sprout easily and it seems there are always babies to give away around here.

Here is a good comparison: Redbud Comparison Chart

My Eastern Redbud is currently 15 years old. It was 7 years in a pot, and then was gifted to me and so I put it in the ground and let it develop into a tree. My Eastern has a larger leaf and grows on a shorter trunk and likes to spread out. The most difficulty with this one is our winds in the Spring can have a negative effect on the larger leaves. Yet the chart shows the Eastern as a smaller leaf variety. Ummmmm I wonder!

What we call Texas Redbud is much smaller leafed and seems more adapted to our heat. My friend grows them with 3 seedlings together and then braids them as they mature. It is quite stunning to see the ornamental trunk all braided in a pretty pot on the patio.
Like this:
Braided+Malabar+Chestnut.jpg

I love the flowers! I have seen a pure white Redbud here in town (I wonder why it isn't a Whitebud Tree) LOL :gig
DETA-179.jpg

Mine are all bit for the winter by the freeze we had! Bummer, another year has come and gone! Spring will bring such lovely blossoms!

eastern_redbud.png

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow! That braided trunk is gorgeous! I may have to do some version of that.

The pink flowers are the ones i have - with the big broad, heart-shaped leaves. The leaves really are very pretty.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Dang, I wish I had known you were going to offer these. Suprisingly we don't have any redbuds growing here. Our main tree is the hackberry and mesquite :/

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
Dang, I wish I had known you were going to offer these. Suprisingly we don't have any redbuds growing here. Our main tree is the hackberry and mesquite :/
You wish you had known because you've already planted something else, and you there's no room for a redbud?

OR

You wish you had known because you're sure that my tree has run out of seed pods and i couldn't possibly have any left?

If the latter is true, i do have more left. LOTS more, after mailing two packages of them already. Just let me know if you're dying to try some redbud seeds.