If you could grow ONLY TWO vegetable types, what would you grow and why?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Iff'n you're working in a too small garden space, sweet spuds would be a waste. They need too much room for a decent harvest. Nope, I'm still advocating for smaller, short season, succession plantings.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
googled gutter gardening photos dang there are a lot of great ideas for veggies and flowers definlititly a good way to grow in a limited area.
https://www.google.com/search?q=gut...X&ved=0CBwQsARqFQoTCLCFzvikwMgCFQftHgodI1EILw

@sumi have always wanted to visit ireland, make a trade with you, you buy the airline ticket for me to come over and i will build your gutter garden and tend it all summer.
I'm going to need a lot more space then ;) You should visit Ireland, if you can. This place is amazing!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Sumi, do you have a South facing wall on the house? You can add gutter gardening (or other growing up options) on that wall, too. It can be done without actually attaching anything to the house.
South? Yes… I do. I think I do… South is thataway, yes. The sun rises and sets in nearly place at the moment, it's completely messing my sense of direction lol

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sumi, do you at like 53° North latitude? Oh my ...

@sumi have always wanted to visit ireland, make a trade with you, you buy the airline ticket for me to come over and i will build your gutter garden and tend it all summer.

Just visit that "lazy bed" work picture.

@thistlebloom used to have a tractor which might fit for gutter gardening.

Steve

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
We saw some gem squash in SA that grows like a zucchini, instead of the usual runner and I asked my DH to bring me some seeds when I comes back (he's in SA at the moment). I cannot find gems here and love them :( I hope I can grow them here.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It would depend on if one wanted to eat fresh stuff, or to preserve it for winter eating. Beans vs lettuce type of thing.

The book Square Foot Gardening, could be very helpful if your growing space is limited. Lots of ideas as to what, and how much to grow.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking, @bills. In limited space why not grow as much as possible. I garden in raised beds, so I do my own version of SFG that includes intensive and intermingled plantings.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tomatoes and corn if I had unlimited space. For limited space I'd do SFG and companion planting to stack my food plants and also do succession planting, but I'd skip the corn...I can buy it locally for pretty cheap and it's excellent flavor and size.

Then I'd do some vertical pallet gardening, trellising all the vines I could up cattle panels, and~if I had the wherewithall and I really, really wanted to grow food for my family in a small space~I'd turn the roofs of all my buildings into green roof gardens. I've even seen folks who fill the back of unused pickup trucks and utility wagons with soil to about a foot below the top of the bed and plant a greens garden there.

I think if a person really put their thinking caps on they could have quite a large garden by going upward and also using unconventional places and containers to grow food.

Latest posts