If you like horseradish...

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know you are probably tired of me waxing poetic about horseradish....but, this recipe is just too good not to share!! Herbed Horseradish Butter. Very simple, take some soft butter, mix in some horseradish, a minced clove of garlic, some chopped up chives, a little parsley. This is unbelievably good! I put it on roasted parsnips, but it would be good on rolls (having it for Thanksgiving) or on any roasted veggie. Since I don't have a cow- all the ingredients (except the butter) came from the garden!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
To your taste...I am going to make an amount that will fill my butter dish, and serve with rolls. Just mix the horseradish and butter together until it tastes good to you. Obviously, this can get quite a bite to it- or you can keep it mild.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That sounds delicious Lesa. I wish I had planned ahead, my HR is frozen in the barrel and I don't think I can get to it 'till spring.
Does the timing of harvest affect the taste?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
They say you should wait until a few frosts... maybe you can pry some out? You wouldn't need too much.

jennh

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I absolutely :love horseradish, and planted some this spring in an old (free!!) galvanized washtub. My question is can I use prepared horseradish from the store? I don't know if mine is ready or not, or when do you harvest it?

Here is a recipe that was in Allyou magazine for horseradish mashed potatoes. I haven't tried it yet, but will soon

HORSERADISH MASHED POTATOES

Prep: 20 min
Cook: 35 min.
Serves: 8
Cost per serving: $.74

*4 lb baking potatoes (about 8 large), peeled and cut into 1- inch pieces
*Salt and pepper
*1 1/3 cups half and half
*8 Tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
*1/2 cup prepared horseradish, drained

In large pot, cover potatoes by at least 1 inch with cold, salted water. Bring to a boil, uncovered, over high heat. Cook over medium-high heat until very tender when pierced with a fork, about 25 minutes. In a small pan over medium-low heat, warm half and half, butter, and horseradish, stirring occasionally, until butter melts and bubbles begin to form around edge of pan.

Drain potatoes, return to pan and mash well. Pour in horseradish mixture and stir well. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

I'm probably not going to peel my potatoes though.

forgot to add that you can sub evaporated milk for some or all of the half and half to cut back on calories and fat. Don't use fat-free evap milk though, the flavor and texture won't be as good.

add a garnish such as chopped chives or scallions sliced diagonally just before serving.

Latest posts