I'm a big sissy

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
These past two weeks have been difficult. 99F to 105F is taking it's toll on me. I don't recall ever being held hostage to the heat like this. I go outside to tinker in the barn or in the gardens and after 15 minutes I have to run into the house for a breath of cool air. I have been checking on the animals about every other hour and they seem to be handling it better than me.

I've been on this silly computer more in the past 14 days than ever before. I usually only turn it on after 9 PM to check email and two discussion groups. Then it's off to bed around 10:30 PM. Out to check on the animals at 5 AM and get a few chores done before 10 AM when the heat gets too high.

Oh yeah, I'm eating more snacks too. I always dehydrate lots of fruit in the late summer and it's almost all gone from last year already. Too much time on my hands I guess.

Is the high temps. getting to any of you guys?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was just saying the very same thing... I didn't think heat bothered me, but it has been constant and it is wearing me down. I almost feel sick. I have an "extension" garden, way out in the back. I have grown things in it for years and never watered it. Oh my, you should have seen the butternut squash- it was deflated. If I hadn't dragged the house out there, it would have been dead for sure. I love sunshine- but my goodness we need rain! And lots of it. Stay cool!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, since we have just begun to finally get some heat, ( 100 predicted today ) it hasn't wore me down yet. But yesterday
I had to stop and come in around 3 because I was feeling a little weird from the heat. It's weather whiplash for us.
Fortunately the nights are always cool, in the 50's generally so we get a break.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smiles and Lesa, too hot, too long. I work outside until too hot at 10 a.m. already. We need rain badly. Our garden is 2 miles from the house. We are hauling water today or we won't have a garden. Thankfully the high today will be 20 degrees less than the 105 yesterday.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was just thinking the same thing. Right now, I'm waiting and hoping the coming rain doesn't miss us. Even if there's no rain, a break from this heat will be most welcome. If I wanted triple digit temps all summer, I'd live in Arizona! :D

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's in the 80's today and I thought it was a hundred. Very muggy. I am working in the garden, watering, planting the last corn crop, but I am taking long water breaks. I think I'm a way bigger sissy!

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Its a shame why our world is changing. I am scared of our future thinking we will not have rain any more :hit I sympathized how hot is for all of you ! I am so used to it and loving the heat. but I totally understand its not the same for all of you...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wish I could send you some of the spring coolness that we experienced in the NorthWest. For this arid corner, I'd be a little reluctant to send you much rain. Drought is a relative condition. It should be since native plants and crops are dependent on a normal.

Having as little as 2" of rainfall in June is drought conditions for some places. It would be a half an inch above normal here. We got that last month & a little more. Some areas on into the mountains had quite a bit of rain after a good amount of winter snow. Nearby, the Kootenai River which comes out of NW Montana, crosses the extreme northern edge of Idaho and flows on into British Columbia - has been above flood stage for a couple of weeks and will continue so for another week, at least.

I've got to head out in a few minutes for end-of-the-day garden tasks. It is 97 here right at this moment. There have been less than 2" of rain during the 3 months of summer here, often. It isn't surprising that there's no rain in our forecast.

Some of the fires in Colorado had some rain recently. I'm sure that helped. Rain storms continue moving east. It looks like there's some relief in some parts of the country where it has been hot & dry.

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php

Steve

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
I was just saying the very same thing... I didn't think heat bothered me, but it has been constant and it is wearing me down. I almost feel sick. I have an "extension" garden, way out in the back. I have grown things in it for years and never watered it. Oh my, you should have seen the butternut squash- it was deflated. If I hadn't dragged the house out there, it would have been dead for sure. I love sunshine- but my goodness we need rain! And lots of it. Stay cool!
I bet it really made you feel bad after "dragging the house out there"

THANX RICH

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
dickiebird said:
lesa said:
I bet it really made you feel bad after "dragging the house out there"

THANX RICH
:lol:

Latest posts