I'm broken...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
AGAIN!

Seriously, I just got over being sick. Was doing GREAT! Got a lot in the garden done, spent time with the DD and hubby's schedule was going to free up soon... so I made plans.

Will things work out for me... NO! I woke up Wednesday startled and shot up out of bed. I heard a loud pop in my chest, and it felt like glass shooting through the right side of my rib cage. It hurt so badly, I felt it in my back as well. Then my right arm went numb. At first I panicked. I thought it was my heart and was about to goto the ER. Read it would be my left arm if it was my heart, so just to be safe, I went to the Urgent Care. I figured they'd send me to the hospital if it was worse then I thought.

Turned out I had a massive mucsle spasm in my chest, like a charlie horse, and it wrapped the muscles around my chest all the way to my back and over my shoulder. My shoulder muscle is pinching a nerve connected to my right arm so my arm keeps going numb.

I'm now on muscle relaxers and I'm totally useless and out of commission for at least a week! :hit

I need a break from me being broken! :somad

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I feel for you. Sometimes life goes on great and sometimes it hits you squarely between the eyes, hard. Nothing fair about it. All I can do is wish you luck. Youre tough. Youll come back.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Shannon, (my baby sister's name too), take it easy for a good while and do what the good doctors say. Sure glad it wasn't a heart attack. I hope the doctors will get to the bottom of things to figure out why those muscles did that.

Ever since I was young the muscles in my feet, calves, and upper legs behind my knees would suddenly tense up very painfully. Very. Back during the mid paleolithic when I was in basic training in the army it happened several times and I pretended nothing was going on. Nowadays it happens after a long hike or using a ladder. Almost as though some muscles and their connections to the bones don't match up. Muscles expanding from use but the connections on the bones are not any larger so they pull on them painfully, then some kind of reflex thing keeps the muscles tight. Happening in your chest, well, I hope the doctors can figure it out. Perhaps muscle stretches along with the Feldene or what relaxers they have these days might help.

Meantime, take things easy. Consider it as a different sort of vacation.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
So sorry Vfem. :( That must have been scary and painful! I hope that you are able to use your forced down time, to do some of the things that you wish you had time for when you are normally so busy. For me it would be a nap, time to read a book, time to watch the birds, time to .... the list goes on.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks guys... I hate to come here and complain. Honestly, I'm more annoyed I can't be out doing what I love most, gardening, when these things happen... so in turn, I think of your guys! :D

Anyways, for now I'm eating bananas and taking my pills. I sure wish I didn't have to work today. Sitting in this chair for 4 hours straight is killing me!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh my, how scary!! I'm so glad that it's "only" a muscle spasm - although, like Marshal, I get terrible ones in my legs and I can't imagine having a bad one in my chest. Take care of yourself and you'll be back to busy soon.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ack, so sorry to hear about this!! I'm glad you went to the urgent care anyway, because for women the symptoms of a heart attack aren't necessarily 'pain or numbness down lt arm' - it can be a lot more subtle, like just nausea and chest pressure, or jaw pain. Take it easy and you'll be back on your feet in no time!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bananannananaannas?!! Of course! Potassium. That water-soluble mineral that is found plentifully in most soils and is taken up by fresh fruits & veggies!

Take good care of yourself, V! Pay attention to what the healthcare people tell you.

Me? I've got so much pain in the middle part of my body I hardly have any idea where it is coming from. Lower back and stomach . . . what's hurting? Is the pain from up or down, behind or in front? When I first started having back problems, way back when, I thought I had a hernia. Turns out that I did, herniated discs - several. Leg went dead several years later. Problem with the leg? No, it's the nerves from the back. Wreck the stomach with anti-inflammatories? Yeah, that will help.

It's not a limp, it's a swagger! Aarrr!

Steve
;)

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sure am glad it was just muscle spasms, v..........Try to take it easy for a while. You're, obviously, not COMPLETELY over being sick. We get sick, get to feelin' better and over exert....cause we be happy about it. That only works if you're a teenager. LOL

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
OMG! I hope you feel better soon! Probably good that you stay heavily medicated so you aren't tempted to start working before you're all healed up. :happy_flower

Latest posts