I'm so excited!!

sonjab314

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I got my seeds in the mail just now and I can't wait to start planting. I'm thinking about stealing the heater out of my chicken coop and replacing it with a heat lamp :hide and putting the heater in my greenhouse so I can start my seeds. I'm just happy :weee This is only my 3rd garden as an adult and I like it a lot. This is almost as bad as playing with my chickens :woot

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Isn't it exciting! All that promise in a little envelope! I am almost finished ordering my seeds... A couple more catalogs to go. I am anxious to get mine- I am going to try spinach and lettuce in the cold frames or the greenhouse... Really getting the itch to dig in the dirt- and my dirt is covered with a couple feet of snow!
Surprised you are heating your coop...What is your thinking on that? Mine just survived our record breaking 21 below zero!! I was very worried, but they didn't even seem to notice!

sonjab314

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just feel bad with them being outside in the cold and me being in my house all warm and toasty. That is the only reason. Their coop stays right at 50 degrees even when it hits 0 degrees outside. Their coop is bigger than my greenhouse so I know that the heater would not have any issues heating it. I'm just trying to be a nice chickie, ducky, guinea mommy.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ah, you are just spoiling them!! We had a warm up today- at 32 degrees. The chickens really enjoyed the day! It feels downright warm, compared to our crazy lows!

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
sonjab314 said:
I just feel bad with them being outside in the cold and me being in my house all warm and toasty. That is the only reason. Their coop stays right at 50 degrees even when it hits 0 degrees outside. Their coop is bigger than my greenhouse so I know that the heater would not have any issues heating it. I'm just trying to be a nice chickie, ducky, guinea mommy.
Don't feel bad, you are not alone. I have a heat lamp in my coop b/c I feel so guilty when it's cold out. (Mine were bred to be hardy in the heat, not the cold.) :)

Reaction score
I often compare my chickens to my garden, i think I am more personally obsessed with my chickens but more fascinated with my garden. They have different needs and its a good trade out. I love them both!

Andy:)

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It can never be too early to get seeds, I'm sure you must be anxious to start sowing those seeds. What if you keep the sowed seeds in a warm room like in a boiler room. Every year I keep my sowed seeds in my basement in a boiler room, its nice and warm in their perfect for germinating seeds. You can even try the laundry room its usually warm in there too.
I'm sure though that your chickens will be fine with a heat lamp, then you can put the heater in the greenhouse as you mentioned.