I'm SO excited!

jennh

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Only a fellow gardener would understand this. I had ordered a horseradish plant, and it should be coming tomorrow!!! :celebrate :ya

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am happy for you. We bought some horse ra dish root way to early and the root rotted before I had a chance to plant it. Get it in the ground as soon as possible.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had horseradish before we moved here.. its so nice to have all those good things at your fingertip!!! I need to plant it here..

HappyHomestead

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Horseradish spreads like nobody's business - it's awfully good, fortunately :)

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh, I used to have some here in the garden... it died off, probably from the heat! I ought to get another piece at the grocery store and grow it in a more shady place.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have really enjoyed having it! Nothing clears your sinuses, quite like it!!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's something on my wishlist too (along with jerusalem artichokes, rhubarb and asparagus).

Amazing what it does for beef! I can't make a roast without it anymore.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
rebbetzin said:
Oh, I used to have some here in the garden... it died off, probably from the heat! I ought to get another piece at the grocery store and grow it in a more shady place.
Can you really just do that? How deep would you plant it? I love the idea of getting something at the grocery store and in a year or two having something nice to harvest. :throw

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
HappyHomestead said:
Horseradish spreads like nobody's business . . .
Be forewarned, Stubbornhillfarm. You don't garden where heat and dryness can be counted on to kill it!

When I took over Dad's garden years ago, he had a patch of horseradish. Dad likes horseradish but he wanted to see it and all its quack grass neighbors gone!

It grew about the only place I could put in a compost bin, so I tried to dig it out. It came back on all sides of that 4' by 16' bin! The plants even came thru the holes in the concrete blocks. Honestly, I tried to get it out and didn't put any roots in the compost! Sprayed it with Round up over several seasons.

When I moved to my current home 15 years ago, there was horseradish living in an iris bed. It made sense to have flowers there and didn't make sense to have horseradish. I had to get the iris out of the way and, once again, spray the plants with Round up. It took 3 years.

Put horseradish somewhere you wouldn't mind it growing for generations to come.

Steve

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
digitS' said:
HappyHomestead said:
Horseradish spreads like nobody's business . . .
Be forewarned, Stubbornhillfarm. You don't garden where heat and dryness can be counted on to kill it!

When I took over Dad's garden years ago, he had a patch of horseradish. Dad likes horseradish but he wanted to see it and all its quack grass neighbors gone!

It grew about the only place I could put in a compost bin, so I tried to dig it out. It came back on all sides of that 4' by 16' bin! The plants even came thru the holes in the concrete blocks. Honestly, I tried to get it out and didn't put any roots in the compost! Sprayed it with Round up over several seasons.

When I moved to my current home 15 years ago, there was horseradish living in an iris bed. It made sense to have flowers there and didn't make sense to have horseradish. I had to get the iris out of the way and, once again, spray the plants with Round up. It took 3 years.

Put horseradish somewhere you wouldn't mind it growing for generations to come.

Steve
Steve, Good to know! That could have been bad.:ep

Latest posts