Imagine a warehouse full of this.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Soylent Green re imagined. I wonder if those who make it will choose to eat it? "You first!" :pop
I was gonna come back to soylent green at some point but here you are!

1973 movie currently 70% on rotten tomatoes etc.

Has moses as the lead. Or monkeyboy if you are planet of the apes fan. Heston something...hard to remember his characters were all so boring except maybe that ben-hur chariot clip.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was a kid, my mother shopped at health food stores.

One "food" that she brought home was sold as "brewer's yeast." These days, would be more commonly known as "nutritional yeast." Mom used it for a short while in scrambled eggs and other things. I DID NOT like it! The experience is likely why I have no interest in drinking kombucha. Yeast is for bread, wine and beer!

Anyway. I imagine that cultured meat could be grown much like yeast is. That idea doesn't have too much appeal to me but I might be willing to try it.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
mushrooms already can do a good substitute for some things so it would be no surprise to me at all for the chemists and food science people to come up with some way to culture muscle, fat and perhaps some other structural cells like collagens. as long as the "blood" can carry the right nutrients and the cells can absorb it and multiply... it avoids the ethical aspect some people have with killing creatures so we can eat parts (or all of them) - so i can see that appealing to some.

my own views are that like aquaculture and other systems which try to raise plants and animals in some kind of system is that you still have inputs and outputs and if you're not using the natural environment to supply some things then that means more work to make sure it is all going right but also you still have the waste products. whereas if you are using natural methods you get the benefits of multiple potential sources of inputs and also likely can avoid having to deal with the wastes as the natural environment has been doing that for billions or millons of years...

donna13350

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Blech. Just what do they use to “grow” the meat?
From what I understand, it is done much like tissue culture. They would take a cell from an animal and put it on a growing medium(agar for plants)..don't know what it is for animals..then by adding hormones it would replicate over and over until it is a large enough for whatever their purpose is.
I remember seeing years ago that scientists grew a human ear on a lab rats back, so this technology has been around for years.
I also remember reading that the USDA has a collection of DNA from tons of animals..at the time I thought they were preserving it to bring an animal to life, like a dinosaur, and maybe that was the plan, but it seems now we can use it to create meat, too.
I'm too old for this world, I was born into the wrong century...I don't like any of this.

Latest posts