in Horticultural Terms

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've got a bunch of tiny tomato seedlings that have that problem right now. I've tried just prodding gently but to no avail. For now at least, I'm just leaving them cuz they're so fragile. Hoping hard they'll sort it out themselves. After all, they're all heirlooms that have been around for a lot of years so I'm thinking they must be able to mostly survive the situation or they wouldn't still be around ;) Maybe I'll try misting to see if that helps. The larger plants, squash for example, sorted it themselves but then they make bigger, stronger leaves and they showed that seed case who was boss!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now see? There's one of those things that us newbies didn't know that we didn't know. ALL of my spinach had helmet head and I just picked them off. Maybe that's why it hasn't done anything since - just sitting there as little sprouts.
I think we should call them seed boogers - "my plant has a seed booger, should I pick it?" LOL

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually, I wonder if it happens because of interrupted germinating conditions such as periods of slightly too cool temperatures and periods of optimal temperatures.

...Just theorizing...

Latest posts