indoor garden?

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use this stuff for fungus gnat control @digitS', but there's a consequence.

It acts much like diatomaceous earth, cutting up the exoskeletons of the gnats and larvae as they try to crawl through it. You are supposed to put it on top of your soil about 3/4" thick. However, the drawback is that since it can cut up their exoskeletons it can also cut up the epidermis of the plant you have it on, if you're moving the plant around at all when watering it. So use it carefully. When an infestation is in place this and the sticky paper usually deals with them in two weeks.

IMAG0455.jpg

Aside from that I would say the type of soil you use absolutely matters. I've noticed all Miracle Grow soil is completely infested with fungus gnats, so I don't use it anymore.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have thousands of daylily seedlings that I began sowing in August. I continue to set out new seeds as they reach the one month chilling in the fridge. Fungus gnats are my biggest problem as they eat the roots of seedlings and kill them. I have developed a regimen that seems to be working. I used to us Knock out gnats. When it was a liquid it worked well. They changed it to a granule and I find it ineffective. It is a form of BT. I used diatomaceous earth last year and shockingly It did not work. I think your product might harm my seedlings. I use a drench on my ornamental plants before bringing them into the greenhouse for the winter. I am on a hunt every day looking for a stray gnat. I use http://www.gardensalive.com/product/house-guardian-insect-spray/pest-control
It is pyrethrim, which is organic, and kills the flyers on contact, thus preventing them from laying eggs. I hang fly tape which is a cheap and effective alternative to the little yellow sticky traps. So far I have seen few and hope I can keep it that way. I also have an organic drench that I bought for the larva but I have not needed it yet.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, as per your advice Jack, I am using gnatrol to control gnats on my daylily seedlings and it is working very well. Can I use a liquid fertilizer at the same time or could there be negative effects? If not, how long would you wait before fertilizing?

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat,
I pretty much use fertilizer each time I water, as it has no effect on the Gnatrol. It is best to let the top of the soil dry slightly before you water. Gnats need moist soil to lay eggs in.

Latest posts