Indoor gardening

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hello Hannah - we're happy to see you dropped in again.

Jack -
What is the size of the newest chamber? WxLxH
Are the two overhead fixtures toward the right the LED lights? The rectangle and round things.

I have an insulated room in my detached garage that I used to use to store all my hunting and fishing equipment. It's 7'x7'x8'tall. It's kind of like a walk in closet. I might be able to convert it into a winter growing room.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is so awesome JackB!

I have a theory though. Jack is from the distant future! He's using a WAYBACK machine to come back to the early 21st century to show us how to do indoor gardening.

:caf

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smiles said:
Hello Hannah - we're happy to see you dropped in again.

Jack -
What is the size of the newest chamber? WxLxH
Are the two overhead fixtures toward the right the LED lights? The rectangle and round things.

I have an insulated room in my detached garage that I used to use to store all my hunting and fishing equipment. It's 7'x7'x8'tall. It's kind of like a walk in closet. I might be able to convert it into a winter growing room.
The size is 36" x 72" x 66". It holds four systems and each system can grow 12 to 14 plants in 3" pots. All three of the lights are LEDs. It is fully automatic and requires very little maintenance. Each system is drained and refilled every two weeks. Other than that is just needs an occasional top off.

Jack B

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
That is so awesome JackB!

I have a theory though. Jack is from the distant future! He's using a WAYBACK machine to come back to the early 21st century to show us how to do indoor gardening.

:caf
When the chamber is closed it is simply a very large wooden box with a red glow coming from the top. If anyone asks what it is I tell them it is the Ark of the Covenant. :lol:

Jack B

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
See? You used the WAYBACK machine to go to 744 BC and get the Ark of the Covenant. None of the archeologists have it figured out yet!

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
See? You used the WAYBACK machine to go to 744 BC and get the Ark of the Covenant. None of the archeologists have it figured out yet!
Just don't tell Indiana Jones.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Jack, don't you just hate it when the German spies interfere with your gardening?

I'm going to look into hydroponic gardening. It looks very interesting to me. Can you recommend any websites for me to cut my teeth on? I spent almost 45 minutes browsing your site a week or two ago. Thanks.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smiles said:
Jack, don't you just hate it when the German spies interfere with your gardening?

I'm going to look into hydroponic gardening. It looks very interesting to me. Can you recommend any websites for me to cut my teeth on? I spent almost 45 minutes browsing your site a week or two ago. Thanks.
It has been several years since I visited any sites on hydroponic gardening, so I really can't recommend any sites. The nutrient manufacturers, and hydroponic dealers, have sites, however, what they are really trying to do is is sell you product. I buy very little from hydroponic stores, practically nothing in fact. There are a few good books on the subject:

Gardening indoors with soil and hydroponics by George Van Patten
How to hydroponics by keith Roberto

You may be able to find one of them online for free if you look around.

That said, even the books are somewhat dated in terms of lighting, and tend to recommend nutrients from dealers and don't provide a lot of information for doing it yourself.

There was a magazine called Growing Edge that had several years of their publication onsite for download, but the site is down, and has been for awhile.

Everyday my site is hit by educational institutions, so there must be some interest in the subject, and not a lot of sites to turn to. University of California at Merced has visited hundreds of times, and today I see a new one,
Gateshead College in the UK.

Good luck though.

Jack B

Ethan

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Superb discussion, really learn a lot on this great community upon plants and gardening.

Latest posts