Indoor Herb Garden

RedheadErin

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have always wanted a small windowsill herb garden so I can get a few fresh herbs whenever I want them. Seems like winter is a good time to start this, right?

I have tried a few times to start indoor herb gardens, but have never had any luck. One time my cat dug it up, another time something else happened....It's always something!

What is the best way to get started? What plants should I choose and what kind of containers? What else do I need?

I have several very nice west-facing windows in my kitchen and east-facing windows in the living room. There are a few northern windows, but they are small. For some reason, the house is arranged so that there are no south-facing windows.

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've never had any luck with windowsills. Is there somewhere you can fit in a small grow-light? Perhaps under the cabinets with the pots on the countertop in an unused corner? Otherwise, one of the table-top units.

With good light, you shouldn't have trouble getting them to grow. Start with basil, it's easy. :)

-Wendy

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have started herbs indoors but only under lights. I don't have a good windowsill either but even in homes where I did the plants are always spindlely and died. You can use grow lights or you can use florescents (sp?). They are cheaper and easier to maintain. Even a small desk light with one of the new curly bulbs will work just make sure it is a higher wattage bulb and that the light stays 2-4 inches from the plants.

Basil is an easy herb and so are parsely, oregano and marjaram. There is a type of dill that stays smaller, I think it is durak dill. You might give it a try. Good Luck.

brandylorton

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Well i would recommend to go with the florescent lights as comparatively to the other light it is quite cheaper and easily available plus more effective so that is why i recommend it.

kalivio

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I find rosemary to be pretty easy outdoors, but not sure about in a container. Seems to be a hardy herb, though.
Jess

David Harritz

Leafing Out
Reaction score
For the indoor herb garden first you will need the container of different sizes and than some space for the setup and the nutrition and fertilizers. With that you will require the grow light which can rep[lace the sunlight.

Latest posts