Inside Starts, Yours & Mine

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cool I went for a walk on an empty field that had been harvested and dead, the farmer threatened to have me arrested! :hide
These people are not so nice. I have bought a 1/3 acre attached to my place and just turned it into garden so here's hoping for lots to eat!!!!:ya

Don't be too hard on the farmer. There are a lot of headaches that come with land ownership and perhaps someone once fell and sued him for having rough furrows. It happens!

My resolution for this year is to stop at every "neighbors' house" within walking distance and meet them. I've been here 40+ years and don't know many of the old-timers much less the new-comers. I am waiting for the blueberries so I don't stop empty-handed (and get shot).

You are going to have your hands full with that 1/3 acre, but lots to eat is a good thing -- especially when you know it is healthy and safe. Good luck!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
. . . I am waiting for the blueberries so I don't stop empty-handed (and get shot). . .

You know, don't you @Smart Red , after all these years- they have already formed an opinion about you. It might be cast iron.

The blueberries are a great idea but if they don't work . . . better take a gun next time . . . and, some clay pigeons. Maybe you can engage them in something therapeutic.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know, don't you @Smart Red , after all these years- they have already formed an opinion about you. It might be cast iron.

The blueberries are a great idea but if they don't work . . . better take a gun next time . . . and, some clay pigeons. Maybe you can engage them in something therapeutic.

Steve

Now, now, Steve, except for my nearest neighbor everyone considers me to be cheery, helpful, and interesting, I am sure. I have never done anything to make them think otherwise during my 30+ years of teaching in this district -- unless they are amazed to see the hermit (the last 9 years) out of place.

That is unless the neighbors have been spreading lies about their "misunderstanding" from yonder and back. Either way I'll take my chances. I would NEVER think to meet my neighbors at their home with a gun.

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Steve
If she is the kind of person to keep to herself, I'll bet she has favorable opinions. Round here the best neighbors are the ones who mind their own business, if they help you when you ask, that can be nice too, but the "mind your own business" are the best neighbors.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
ME, the hermit! Since I retired, I don't get out much. The neighbors purchased the land next door about 16 years ago. Recently my DH and I have been cleaning up parts of the 30 acres in woods and weeds that we haven't used.

The new neighbors thought the land we were clearing was theirs. She came over and tore out a stake we had put next to the surveyor's mark. Once I realized what the problem was, I collected and duplicated all the land papers we had so they could see where the line was. Evidently, they suspected I 'doctored' the papers and claim we stole their land.

In all of this, I have been nothing but sweet, soft-spoken, and calm, but I have been yelled at and threatened nonetheless. I don't know what else I can do to correct their misunderstanding, but their house is NOT on my list to visit.

Last fall, they had the land surveyed (partially) only to find we were right. I fear that only made them more angry. Angry at us because we were telling the truth? at the family that sold them the property for not being more clear? at themselves for looking foolish? I don't know and frankly, Scarlet, I don't . . . . er. . um. . care anymore.

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Your starts look great! It has been super rainy in my part of MN as well. At least we got lots of sunshine today and warmth. That was nice. Starting to harden my plants off- I won't plant them until the first weekend in June just to be safe.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks! @thistlebloom & @ninnymary, we are 5" above ave rainfall this year, but I'm hoping it's not because of the work they did last year clearing our county drainage ditches... for thirty years it hasn't been this bad. I may have to keep the kayak in mind.

@HotPepperQueen, thanks, Monday was a perfect day! I planted some of my tougher annuals and finished cleaning out two gardens. After tonight the night temps look pretty good here. If the higher part of the garden has drained beyond the muck stage and the soil temp is up, the move is on. At least some of the plants will be picked up this week, (sales and gifts), it's hard to keep up on the watering once they are out in the sun so much. Best of luck with your garden this year!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I gotta do better at checking "previous" pages once the forum pages turns! Didn't even see @Lavender2 's post yesterday morning!

Yes, very nice starts! Are you still on schedule, Lavender?

I set out some flower starts yesterday that had been through, not just 1 but 2 hailstorms about 2 weeks ago. They had to go inside, almost ICU, and start the hardening-off process all over again.

Boy did I mess up with them and Boy were they late and root-bound coming out of their containers!

Steve

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I gotta do better at checking "previous" pages once the forum pages turns! Didn't even see @Lavender2 's post yesterday morning!

Yes, very nice starts! Are you still on schedule, Lavender?

I set out some flower starts yesterday that had been through, not just 1 but 2 hailstorms about 2 weeks ago. They had to go inside, almost ICU, and start the hardening-off process all over again.

Boy did I mess up with them and Boy were they late and root-bound coming out of their containers!

Steve

I miss pages all the time.:oops: ...sometimes just not enough time to play!

I think I'm okay with most things. Hardening-off process was not smooth nor painless with the cold, rain, cloudy days. Sorry you had to endure hail!

I moved some tomatoes to large pots and holy cow they are huge. Six- pack marigolds are probably overdone, but they usually don't mind so much. I should stop using the six-packs or get a grip on starting them a bit later. My target date is usually close to the end of May, but everything is ready, blow'n in the wind. :rolleyes: Just poked the soil in the veg garden, 53-55°, hopefully that will come up a bit with the next couple of sunny days!
Will we ever get the hang of all this? :D

Latest posts