Intensive Planting

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
If I were to be spotted in the garden on all fours dragging around a small ruler and pencil, my DH would probably decide I had finally lost my last marble.

(although I'm sure this author's system has a lot of merit)
what you could do instead it take a 2x4 and mark off the feet or distance you want to plant between.

though i could get away with the finding my 'marbles' since i keep tilling some up in my garden. i usually find a few each year.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
what you could do instead it take a 2x4 and mark off the feet or distance you want to plant between.

though i could get away with the finding my 'marbles' since i keep tilling some up in my garden. i usually find a few each year.

Good idea on the 2x4 Chickie! That would be way faster. I'm assuming it would be way faster since I don't use any measuring device other than eyeballing it. But maybe this will be the year for accuracy in the garden!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've done a lot of the hexagonal planting. Even then I'm sure I cram them too close.

I'm a serial crammer!!

I am pretty nonchalant with the spacing, 'oh, a carrot is about that wide', and my rows look like I may have a little 'something' in my coffee. I think I used to use a string.o_O

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Intensive planting is just made for raised beds. Since you never need to step on the bed, you can plant close enough to shade the ground and tuck a few late growers in with the early season plants.