Iris and Easter Lily

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think it was my Iris that first brought me to TEG. I had a small bed of them that were changing colors on me. Huh.

Well last year I ended up with a couple of the Easter lilies from church so I stuck them in the ground between the iris' and a pine tree stump. Last week I was thinking that I REALLY NEED to thin out that bed of iris' and when I was looking them over I noticed that there were what looked like itty bitty lilies - but where I had planted 2 there were 8 sprouts! Last night I was leaving choir practice when I spotted 9 of them - all sad and limp - sitting next to the ladies room. Poor little things had done their decorating and now were waiting to be tossed in the trash. :rant They somehow got stuck in my truck and didn't make it into the dumpster.

SO - can Easter Lilies really grow - and bloom - in Virginia?
Is there anything I can do to help them along?? (I just stuck the 2 from last year in the ground because it seemed somehow wrong for them die in a pot - I had no idea they might live and come back)
Is it too late to move Iris?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think they are pretty hardy. I would go ahead and plant them, trying not to disturb the soil around the roots too much. I guess, like other bulbs, they need their greenery to gather energy for next year's blooms. So I would leave the greenery. In your garden, the lilies will most likely bloom in summer. They smell great, and make a nice tall stalk. You may want to figure out how to stake them, like stick bushy branches upright amongst them before they get too tall in the spring.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane, if you're talking about bearded iris, it's never the wrong time to move them! They would probably survive a nuclear bomb.

You may sacrifice a bloom if they haven't already finished that, but iris are some of the toughest most forgiving plants around.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yup, my mother had a bunch of Iris in a bucket in her garage for the winter....when I finally found them and planted them- they did just fine! In fact, I was just thinking they need to be divided. Pretty hard to hurt them!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wonderful! :clap Right now they're all in a tight bunch on the west side of the pine tree. I'm going to dig them up and spread them all the way around with the Easter lilis in a smaller ring closer to the tree. I really hope the Easter lilis will continue to grow and eventually bloom.

Latest posts